This is a select list of articles that highlight the impact of our work on the field. For a complete list of our yearly publications, click the links at the side of the page.
- Dredze, M., Wood-Doughty, Z., Quinn, S. C., & Broniatowski, D. A. (2017). Vaccine opponents' use of Twitter during the 2016 US presidential election: Implications for practice and policy. Vaccine.
- Butler, J., Fryer, C. S., Ward, E., Westaby, K., Adams, A., Esmond, S. L., ..., Quinn, S. C., & Thomas, S. B. (2017). The Health Equity Leadership Institute (HELI): Developing workforce capacity for health disparities research. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, 1-7.
- Passmore, S. R., Williams-Parry, K. F., Casper, E., & Thomas, S. B. (2017). Message Received: African American Women and Breast Cancer Screening. Health Promotion Practice, 1524839917696714.
- Ikeno, F., Brooks, M. M., Nakagawa, K., Kim, M. K., Kaneda, H., Mitsutake, Y., Thomas, S.B.... & Waseda, K. (2017). SYNTAX score and long-term outcomes: the BARI-2D trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 69(4), 395-403.
- Freimuth, V. S., Jamison, A., Hancock, G., Musa, D., Hilyard, K., & Quinn, S. C. (2017). The Role of Risk Perception in Flu Vaccine Behavior among African‐American and White Adults in the United States. Risk Analysis.
- Quinn, S. C., Jamison, A., Freimuth, V. S., An, J., Hancock, G. R., & Musa, D. (2017). Exploring racial influences on flu vaccine attitudes and behavior: Results of a national survey of White and African American adults. Vaccine, 35(8), 1167-1174.
Quinn, S., Jamison, A., Musa, D., Hilyard, K., & Freimuth, V. (2016). Exploring the Continuum of Vaccine Hesitancy Between African American and White Adults: Results of a Qualitative Study. PLOS Currents Outbreaks. December 29, 2016.
Passmore, S. R., Fryer, C. S., Butler, J., Garza, M. A., Thomas, S. B., Quinn, S. C. (2016) Building a “deep fund of good will”: Reframing research engagement. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved , 27(2):722-740. doi: 10.1353/hpu.2016.0070
Chae, D. H., Epel, E. S., Nuru-Jeter, A. M., Lincoln, K. D., Taylor, R. J., Lin, J., ... & Thomas, S. B. (2016). Discrimination, mental health, and leukocyte telomere length among African American men. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 63, 10-16. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2015.09.001
Fryer, C. S., Passmore, S. R., Maietta, R. C., Petruzzelli, J., Casper, E., Brown, N. A., … Quinn, S. C. (2015). The Symbolic Value and Limitations of Racial Concordance in Minority Research Engagement. Qualitative Health Research. http://doi.org/10.1177/1049732315575708
Quinn, S. C., Hilyard, K., Castaneda-Angarita, N., & Freimuth, V. S. (2015). Public Acceptance of Peramivir During the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic: Implications for Other Drugs or Vaccines Under Emergency Use Authorizations. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 9(02), 166–174. http://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2014.156
Chen, J., Mullins, C. D., Novak, P., & Thomas, S. B. (2015). Personalized Strategies to Activate and Empower Patients in Health Care and Reduce Health Disparities. Health Education & Behavior. http://doi.org/10.1177/1090198115579415
Dagher, R. K., Chen, J., & Thomas, S. B. (2015). Gender Differences in Mental Health Outcomes before, during, and after the Great Recession. PLOS ONE, 10(5), e0124103. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0124103
King, C. J., Chen, J., Dagher, R. K., Holt, C. L., & Thomas, S. B. (2015). Decomposing Differences in Medical Care Access Among Cancer Survivors by Race and Ethnicity. American Journal of Medical Quality, 30(5), 459–469. http://doi.org/10.1177/1062860614537676
Hararah, M. K., Pollack, C. E., Garza, M. A., Yeh, H.-C., Markakis, D., Phelan-Emrick, D. F., … Ford, J. G. (2015). The Relationship Between Education and Prostate-Specific Antigen Testing Among Urban African American Medicare Beneficiaries. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 2(2), 176–183. http://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-014-0061-z
Fagan, P., Pohkrel, P., Herzog, T., Pagano, I., Vallone, D.,…, Fryer, C.S., Moolchan, E. (2015). Comparisons of three nicotine dependence scales in a multiethnic sample of young adult menthol and non-menthol smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 149, 203–211. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.02.005
Sterling, K. L., Fryer, C. S., Majeed, B., & Duong, M. M. (2015). Promotion of waterpipe tobacco use, its variants and accessories in young adult newspapers: a content analysis of message portrayal. Health Education Research, 30(1), 152–161. http://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyu035
- Dinwiddie, GY, Zambrana, RE, & Garza, MA. 2014. Exploring risk factors in Latino cardiovascular disease: The role of education, nativity, and gender. Am J Pub Health, 104(9): 1742-50. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2013.301280.
- Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Hilyard, K. & Quinn, S. 2014. Trust in the Early Stages of the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. J Health Comm, 19: 321-339.
- King, CJ, Chen, J, Garza, MA, Thomas, SB. 2014. Breast and cervical screening by race/ethnicity: Comparative analyses before and during the Great Recession. Am J Prevent Med, 46(4): 359-367. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.11.016.
- Quinn, SC, Kumar, S. 2014. Health inequities and infectious disease epidemics: A challenge for global health security. Biosecur Bioterror, 12(5): 263-73.
- Reynolds, CF 3rd, Thomas, SB, Morse, JQ, Anderson, SJ, Albert, S, Dew, AM, Begley, A, Karp, JF, Gildengers, A, Butter, MA, Stack, JA, Kasckow, J Miller, MD, & Quinn, SC. 2014. Early intervention to preempt major depression among older black and white adults. Psychiatric Serv, 65(6). doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201300216.
- Quinn, S., Garza, M., Butler, J., Fryer, C., Barnard, D., Casper, E., Kim, K., & Thomas, S. (2012). Improving informed consent with minority participants: Results from researcher and community surveys. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 7(5), 44-55.
- Quinn, S., Butler, J., Fryer, C., Garza, M., Kim, K., Ryan, C., & Thomas, S. (2012). Attributes of researchers and their strategies to recruit minority populations: Results of a national survey. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 33(6), 1231-1237.
- Thomas, S., Quinn S., Butler, J., Garza, M., & Fryer, C. (2011). Toward a fourth generation of disparities research to achieve health equity. Annual Review of Public Health, 32(1), 399-416.
- Butler, J., Fryer, C.S., Reed, E.A., & THOMAS, S.B. (2011). Utilizing the School Health Index to build collaboration between a university and an urban school district. Journal of School Health, 81(12), 774-782.
- Butler, J. 3rd, Quinn, S.C., Fryer, C.S., Garza, M.A., Kim, K.H., Thomas, S.B. Characterizing researchers by strategies used for retaining minority participants: Results of a national survey. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2013 Jun 10; 36(1):61-67. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2013.05.014.[Epub ahead of print]. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23764697 .
- Hilyard, K., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Musa, D., & Freimuth, V. Determinants of Parental Acceptance of the H1N1 Vaccine. Health Education & Behavior. In Press.
- Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Hilyard, K. & Quinn, S. Trust in the Early Stages of the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic.Journal of Health Communication. In Press.
- Quinn, S., Parmer, J., Freimuth, V., Hilyard, K., Musa, D. & Kim, K. Exploring Communication, Trust in Government and Vaccine Intention Later in the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: Results of a National Survey. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science. June 2013, 11(2): 96-106.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K. & Hilyard, K. US public support for vaccine donation to poorer countries in the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. PLoS ONE 7(3): e33025.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033025.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Daniel, L. & Freimuth, V. The Impact of Workplace Policies and Other Social Determinants on Influenza-Like Illness Incidence during the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. American Journal of Public Health. 2012; 102:134–140.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Musa, D. & Freimuth, V. A Social Ecological Model for H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Acceptance in the US. Health Education & Behavior. 39(2) 229–243.
- Quinn, S., Kumar, S., Freimuth, V., Kidwell, K. & Musa, D. Racial Disparities in Exposure, Susceptibility and Access to Health Care in the US H1N1 Influenza Pandemic. American Journal of Public Health. 2011. 101(2): 285-293.
- Hilyard, K., Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Kumar, S. & Quinn, S. The Vagaries of Public Support for Government Actions in Case of a Pandemic. Health Affairs. 2010. 29: 2294-2301.
- Quinn, S., Kumar, S., Freimuth, V., Kidwell, K. & Musa, D. Public Willingness to Take a Vaccine or Drug Under Emergency Use Authorization during the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science. 2009. 7(3), 1-16.
- Sriwattanakomen, R., McPherron, J., Chatman, J., Morse, J., Martire, L., Karp, J., Houck, P., Bensasi, S., Houle, J., Stack, J., Woods, M., Block, B., Thomas, S., Quinn, S., & Reynolds. A comparison of the frequencies of risk factors for depression in older black and white participants in a study of indicated prevention. International Psychogeriatrics. 2010, 22 (8), 1240-1247.
To learn more about our active research projects, click here.
For more on our completed projects, click here.
To go back to the Research Overview, click here.