This is a select list of articles that highlight the impact of our work on the field. For a complete list of our yearly publications, click the links at the side of the page.
Passmore, S. R., Fryer, C. S., Butler, J., Garza, M. A., Thomas, S. B., Quinn, S. C. (2016) Building a “deep fund of good will”: Reframing research engagement. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved , 27(2):722-740. doi: 10.1353/hpu.2016.0070
Chae, D. H., Epel, E. S., Nuru-Jeter, A. M., Lincoln, K. D., Taylor, R. J., Lin, J., ... & Thomas, S. B. (2016). Discrimination, mental health, and leukocyte telomere length among African American men. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 63, 10-16. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2015.09.001
Fryer, C. S., Passmore, S. R., Maietta, R. C., Petruzzelli, J., Casper, E., Brown, N. A., … Quinn, S. C. (2015). The Symbolic Value and Limitations of Racial Concordance in Minority Research Engagement. Qualitative Health Research. http://doi.org/10.1177/1049732315575708
Quinn, S. C., Hilyard, K., Castaneda-Angarita, N., & Freimuth, V. S. (2015). Public Acceptance of Peramivir During the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic: Implications for Other Drugs or Vaccines Under Emergency Use Authorizations. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 9(02), 166–174. http://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2014.156
Chen, J., Mullins, C. D., Novak, P., & Thomas, S. B. (2015). Personalized Strategies to Activate and Empower Patients in Health Care and Reduce Health Disparities. Health Education & Behavior. http://doi.org/10.1177/1090198115579415
Dagher, R. K., Chen, J., & Thomas, S. B. (2015). Gender Differences in Mental Health Outcomes before, during, and after the Great Recession. PLOS ONE, 10(5), e0124103. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0124103
King, C. J., Chen, J., Dagher, R. K., Holt, C. L., & Thomas, S. B. (2015). Decomposing Differences in Medical Care Access Among Cancer Survivors by Race and Ethnicity. American Journal of Medical Quality, 30(5), 459–469. http://doi.org/10.1177/1062860614537676
Hararah, M. K., Pollack, C. E., Garza, M. A., Yeh, H.-C., Markakis, D., Phelan-Emrick, D. F., … Ford, J. G. (2015). The Relationship Between Education and Prostate-Specific Antigen Testing Among Urban African American Medicare Beneficiaries. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 2(2), 176–183. http://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-014-0061-z
Fagan, P., Pohkrel, P., Herzog, T., Pagano, I., Vallone, D.,…, Fryer, C.S., Moolchan, E. (2015). Comparisons of three nicotine dependence scales in a multiethnic sample of young adult menthol and non-menthol smokers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 149, 203–211. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.02.005
Sterling, K. L., Fryer, C. S., Majeed, B., & Duong, M. M. (2015). Promotion of waterpipe tobacco use, its variants and accessories in young adult newspapers: a content analysis of message portrayal. Health Education Research, 30(1), 152–161. http://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyu035
- Dinwiddie, GY, Zambrana, RE, & Garza, MA. 2014. Exploring risk factors in Latino cardiovascular disease: The role of education, nativity, and gender. Am J Pub Health, 104(9): 1742-50. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2013.301280.
- Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Hilyard, K. & Quinn, S. 2014. Trust in the Early Stages of the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. J Health Comm, 19: 321-339.
- King, CJ, Chen, J, Garza, MA, Thomas, SB. 2014. Breast and cervical screening by race/ethnicity: Comparative analyses before and during the Great Recession. Am J Prevent Med, 46(4): 359-367. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.11.016.
- Quinn, SC, Kumar, S. 2014. Health inequities and infectious disease epidemics: A challenge for global health security. Biosecur Bioterror, 12(5): 263-73.
- Reynolds, CF 3rd, Thomas, SB, Morse, JQ, Anderson, SJ, Albert, S, Dew, AM, Begley, A, Karp, JF, Gildengers, A, Butter, MA, Stack, JA, Kasckow, J Miller, MD, & Quinn, SC. 2014. Early intervention to preempt major depression among older black and white adults. Psychiatric Serv, 65(6). doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201300216.
- Quinn, S., Garza, M., Butler, J., Fryer, C., Barnard, D., Casper, E., Kim, K., & Thomas, S. (2012). Improving informed consent with minority participants: Results from researcher and community surveys. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 7(5), 44-55.
- Quinn, S., Butler, J., Fryer, C., Garza, M., Kim, K., Ryan, C., & Thomas, S. (2012). Attributes of researchers and their strategies to recruit minority populations: Results of a national survey. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 33(6), 1231-1237.
- Thomas, S., Quinn S., Butler, J., Garza, M., & Fryer, C. (2011). Toward a fourth generation of disparities research to achieve health equity. Annual Review of Public Health, 32(1), 399-416.
- Butler, J., Fryer, C.S., Reed, E.A., & THOMAS, S.B. (2011). Utilizing the School Health Index to build collaboration between a university and an urban school district. Journal of School Health, 81(12), 774-782.
- Butler, J. 3rd, Quinn, S.C., Fryer, C.S., Garza, M.A., Kim, K.H., Thomas, S.B. Characterizing researchers by strategies used for retaining minority participants: Results of a national survey. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2013 Jun 10; 36(1):61-67. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2013.05.014.[Epub ahead of print]. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23764697 .
- Hilyard, K., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Musa, D., & Freimuth, V. Determinants of Parental Acceptance of the H1N1 Vaccine. Health Education & Behavior. In Press.
- Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Hilyard, K. & Quinn, S. Trust in the Early Stages of the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic.Journal of Health Communication. In Press.
- Quinn, S., Parmer, J., Freimuth, V., Hilyard, K., Musa, D. & Kim, K. Exploring Communication, Trust in Government and Vaccine Intention Later in the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: Results of a National Survey. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science. June 2013, 11(2): 96-106.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K. & Hilyard, K. US public support for vaccine donation to poorer countries in the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. PLoS ONE 7(3): e33025.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033025.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Daniel, L. & Freimuth, V. The Impact of Workplace Policies and Other Social Determinants on Influenza-Like Illness Incidence during the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. American Journal of Public Health. 2012; 102:134–140.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Musa, D. & Freimuth, V. A Social Ecological Model for H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Acceptance in the US. Health Education & Behavior. 39(2) 229–243.
- Quinn, S., Kumar, S., Freimuth, V., Kidwell, K. & Musa, D. Racial Disparities in Exposure, Susceptibility and Access to Health Care in the US H1N1 Influenza Pandemic. American Journal of Public Health. 2011. 101(2): 285-293.
- Hilyard, K., Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Kumar, S. & Quinn, S. The Vagaries of Public Support for Government Actions in Case of a Pandemic. Health Affairs. 2010. 29: 2294-2301.
- Quinn, S., Kumar, S., Freimuth, V., Kidwell, K. & Musa, D. Public Willingness to Take a Vaccine or Drug Under Emergency Use Authorization during the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science. 2009. 7(3), 1-16.
- Sriwattanakomen, R., McPherron, J., Chatman, J., Morse, J., Martire, L., Karp, J., Houck, P., Bensasi, S., Houle, J., Stack, J., Woods, M., Block, B., Thomas, S., Quinn, S., & Reynolds. A comparison of the frequencies of risk factors for depression in older black and white participants in a study of indicated prevention. International Psychogeriatrics. 2010, 22 (8), 1240-1247.
To learn more about our active research projects, click here.
For more on our completed projects, click here.
To go back to the Research Overview, click here.