Implement the search strategies listed below to create an action plan to get started on your internship or job search.
- Read through this introduction to search strategies
- Network with your friends, family, and contacts to identify open positions
- Tips for networking your way into a federal government position
- Conduct informational interviews with alumni and other contacts to explore employers of interest by utilizing UMD's Alumni Advisor Network
- Identify employers of interest and explore ways to engage with them (i.e. through social media, presentations, and whoever is visiting campus this semester)
- Apply for posted positions found on the organization’s website, a niche job/internship board, or an aggregate job/internship search engines (i.e. Idealilst, SimplyHired, Indeed)
- Consider incorporating social media into your job/internship search
- Use Linked In to connect with UMD alumni that are in jobs that you desire (Click "My Network" -"Find Alumni" to access the 200,000+ UMD alums on Linked In)
Programs and Events
- Attend the annual SPH Career Expo – check out what employers are attending this year!
- Network with alumni and employers at one of this semester’s other Career Fairs
- Connect with alumni and employers at a career panels and networking nights - see the Event Calendar for this semester's listing
- Shadow a professional in your dream job through UMD’s Intern for a Day Program
- Register for a semester long career class (PSYC123 or EDCP108i)
- Visit a company on your own or with a group of UMD students on a Career Shuttle
- Past shuttles include: Children's National Health System, American Red Cross, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Equinox Fitness, FDA, and More!
- Interview on-campus for off campus positions
- Careers4Terps - UMD’s online job and internship listing database- set up a Search Agent today!
- Gather more information about the fields of public health and possible careers
- Find part-time job positions off campus and on campus
- The President’s Promise lists co-curricular opportunities to build up your on campus experience
Global Health Internship Opportunities
Global health professionals are in high demand within public health. Students that are interested in gaining internship experience in global health are encouraged to utilize the following resources in order to begin their job or internship search.
- US AID Global Health Fellows Program
- FHI 360 Internships
- JSI Internships
- Wellcome Trust Summer Internship Program
- Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
- WASH Advocates
- US Public Health Service Student Opportunities and Training
- American Red Cross Internship Program
- Office of Global Affairs Internship Program
- National Institutes of Health Pathways Program
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA) Student Fellowship Programs
This list is only a handful of the many possible avenues students can explore. You may also want to speak with your faculty, advisors, staff members, and other professional mentors to find out about additional opportunities and resources. “Goin' Global” is a helpful online tool that can be utilized to find internships, as well as full-time and part-time opportunities outside of the US. All UMD students can assess this online tool through their Careers4Terps account.