By the end of the MPH in Epidemiology program, students will be able to:
Epidemiology Common Core Competencies
- Identify vital statistics and other key sources of data for epidemiological purposes
- Describe a public health problem in terms of magnitude, person, time and place.
- Discuss the principles and limitations of public health screening programs.
- Comprehend basic ethical and legal principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, use and dissemination of epidemiologic data.
- Explain the importance of epidemiology for informing scientific, ethical, economic and political discussion of health issues.
- Apply the basic terminology and definitions of epidemiology.
- Calculate basic epidemiology measures.
- Communicate epidemiologic information to lay and professional audiences.
- Differentiate among the criteria for causality.
- Draw appropriate inferences from epidemiologic data.
- Describe epidemiologic study designs and assess their strengths and limitations.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of epidemiologic reports.
Epidemiology Cognate Competencies
- Calculate advanced epidemiology measures.
- Design, analyze, and evaluate an epidemiologic study.
- Demonstrate skills in public health data collection and management.
- Design interventions to reduce prevalence of major public health problems.
- Demonstrate program administration and organizational leadership.