By the end of the PhD program in Epidemiology, students will be able to:
Epidemiology Common Core Competencies (MPH)
- Identify vital statistics and other key sources of data for epidemiological purposes.
- Describe a public health problem in terms of magnitude, person, time and place.
- Discuss the principles and limitations of public health screening programs.
- Comprehend basic ethical and legal principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, use and dissemination of epidemiologic data.
- Explain the importance of epidemiology for informing scientific, ethical, economic and political discussion of health issues.
- Calculate basic epidemiology measures.
- Communicate epidemiologic information to lay and professional audiences.
- Differentiate among the criteria for causality.
- Draw appropriate inferences from epidemiologic data.
- Describe epidemiologic study designs and assess their strengths and limitations.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of epidemiologic reports.
PhD Advanced Epidemiology Cognate Competencies
- Critically evaluate social determinants of health.
- Explain predictors and mechanisms of disease or health events.
- Calculate advanced epidemiology measures.
- Critically evaluate measures of association.
- Design, analyze, and evaluate an epidemiologic study.
- Critically appraise epidemiologic literature.
- Demonstrate skills in public health data collection and management.
- Critically evaluate questionnaire and survey instruments.
- Design and evaluate interventions to reduce prevalence of major public health problems.
- Critique the use of meta-analytic statistical techniques.
- Describe and apply statistical approaches to address threats to validity in epidemiologic studies.
- Compare clustered data with traditional epidemiologic data from survey and randomized clinical trials.
- Analyze causal associations.
- Characterize issues associated with missing data.
- Appraise how quantitative and qualitative data can be integrated into mixed methods in epidemiologic research.
PhD Individualized Research Plan Competencies
- Develop expertise in an area of independent research interest.