The Family Science Department provides a multi-tier advising system that will help you design and carry out a program of study best suited to your interests and needs. Several advisors are available, depending on your need: Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA), Faculty Advisors, and the Director of Student Services in the School of Public Health.

General Questions

During the transition of the FMSC undergraduate coordinator, advising will be offered by our Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) in 0222 SPH.  For quick questions and topics, you are encouraged to use walk-in advising hours. 

If you have questions about how to schedule an appointment or would prefer to ask an advising question via email, you may contact the front desk of CASA.  They can be reached at 301-405-2357 or

If you would like a 30 minute dedicated advising appointment for longer conversations, you can meet with Director of Student Services, Erin Caporellie.  Appointments with Erin can be scheduled here:

Additionally, students are encouraged to reference the Family Science Undergraduate Handbook for detailed information regarding internships, course clusters, senior audits, and other FMSC policies and requirements.

Faculty Advisor

All students are assigned a Faculty Advisor who can provide information about Family Science requirements, courses, department research opportunities, and graduate programs. Faculty Advisors have regular office hours posted on their office doors, and they schedule additional office hours during the course registration process. Many have advising sign-up sheets on their doors. Alternatively, you may phone or e-mail your Faculty Advisor to arrange an appointment. Meeting with your Faculty Advisor will help you to focus on the upcoming semester, select courses, and make decisions about graduate schools and careers.

Student Listserve

The Department also has a listserv for all Family Science undergraduate students. You will receive weekly email messages about department and campus events, internship and research opportunities, career seminars, graduate schools, job openings, and other news. If you are a Family Science major and are not on our listserve, contact our Department Manager, Nacie Grigsby, and ask that your name be added to the list.

Students should make every effort to attend the Department, College, and Campus programs that relate to their areas of academic research and career interests.

Who to See About What

Information about Undergraduate Advising can be found here.

The Assistant Dean, Dr. Coke Farmer, deals with a number of special issues (see below). Note that Dr. Farmer's office is located in the School of Public Health building, Room 3310A.

The following chart provides a quick reference for advising assistance.

If you need:

SEE: Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) in 0222 SPH.  They can be reached at 301-405-2357 or

If you need:

  • Pre-registration advising - not first time department advising
  • General advising information, including electives, course selections, internship ideas
  • Information about Department Honors Program
  • Information about Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Program
  • Information about Undergraduate Research Assistant Program, Senior Summer Scholars, McNair Scholars, or other research opportunities
  • Information about graduate programs or careers
  • General assistance

SEE: Your Faculty Advisor

If you need:

  • Exceptions to policy requiring Dean's signature
  • Late Add/Drop/Withdrawal
  • Permission to enroll for more than 16 credits
  • Late application for Graduation
  • Registering for a course more than two times
  • Permission to enroll in another institution
  • Fundamental Studies Block

Please file a request online here.

If you need:

  • Athlete advising

SEE: Zachary Hull, Academic Advisor
1304 School of Public Health Building
(301) 405-1010

If you need:

  • FMSC Course Equivalency Evaluation

SEE: Dr. Manouchehr Mokhtari, Chair Undergraduate Program Committee
1142M School of Public Health Building

The Family Science Department encourages student comments about Departmental advising. Faculty advisors want to maintain their strengths and overcome any weaknesses in the advising process. Students should feel comfortable about contacting the Undergraduate Coordinator or the Department Chair with concerns or suggestions about their experience.


It is SPH policy that if a student wishes to bring parents, legal guardians or family members to a meeting with an advisor, faculty member or other School official, this meeting must be scheduled at least 1 business day in advance, and University parties involved must be notified that the student’s parent, legal guardian, or family member will be present at the meeting. The student must also have the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Academic Release Information Form on file with the department.  You may contact an advisor in the department to receive a copy of this form if you want to sign it, or you may print it using the link. See your Community Health Undergraduate Handbook for more information.