Schedule Adjustment Period Walk-in Hours for Fall 2018
Tuesday, August 28th - Thursday, August 30th AND Tuesday, September 4th - Thursday, September 6th
Regular Walk-in Hours for Fall 2018
The goal of the Family Science undergraduate advising office is to provide transitional and ongoing support for students, so that they may make informed decisions concerning their academic plans and professional/personal goals.
What is Academic Advising?
Academic advising is a partnership between students and their advisor. The sole aim of this partnership is academic, professional, and personal success. Ultimately, students are responsible for their success and experience here in the Department of Family Science, while the advisor will:
- Ensure students know and have access to all the available resources at the University of Maryland, the School of Public Health, and the Department of Family Science.
- Encourage students to grow and develop as individuals.
- Empower students to take full responsibility for their academic decisions and get the most out of their experiences in the Family Science Department.
Who is the advisor for Family Science major?
Why should you see your Academic Advisor?
- To discuss any problems that affects your academic performance
- To discuss your academic progress
- To discuss your academic standing (probation, dismissal, etc.)
- To discuss any unusual circumstances that requires special assistance
- To confirm the completion of all degree requirements for graduation
- * When required by your advisor.
What should you expect?
Your Advisor will:
- Help define and develop realistic personal, social, academic, and career goals.
- Make appropriate suggestions and referrals that address needs, interests, and concerns.
- Educate with regards to Department’s policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Provide transitional and ongoing support.
- Provide options and resources when facing academic difficulties.