Families are the foundation of society and the public’s health. The vision of the Department of Family Science is to promote the physical, mental, and social wellbeing of all families in order to eliminate the burden of disease and health disparities, and to foster resilience and social justice.
The mission of the Department of Family Science is to be the recognized leader in family health, defined as the physical, mental, and social wellbeing of all families. Through interdisciplinary approaches to teaching, research, and practice, the Department's goals are:
- To offer state-of-the-art degree training in maternal, child, and family health at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level;
- To prepare the next generation of investigators, practitioners, and policy leaders to tackle the health challenges facing families;
- To generate high-impact scholarship on family health;
- To inform and critique public policy through the prism of family health;
- To elevate the importance of family health in the state of Maryland and among the broader public;
- To collaborate with communities in order to improve the health and wellbeing of families through outreach, service, and practice.