Admitted Student - Orientation Information

What do you need to complete prior to Orientation?

  1. Complete MATH placement test: All School of Public Health majors are required to take the Math Placement Exam, even if you have already earned credit for a math course at another college or university. The math placement exam must be taken online prior to attending orientation. Students who don't complete the Math placement test will not be allowed to register during orientation.
  2. Courses not yet showing on your transcript. Bring a copy of your unofficial transcripts to orientation. If you are currently taking or took any courses that are not showing on your transcripts, please bring a copy of your unnoficial transcripts to orientation.

  3. Please contact Jaime Oliver or Dr. Scott if you have any questions or concerns.

​We look forward to meeting you at Orientation!

Pre-Transfer Information - Prior to Admission

Before being admitted consult the Pre-Transfer advising program.

The Pre-Transfer Advising program provides support to prospective transfer students from two-year and four-year schools before they apply to the University of Maryland to complete an undergraduate degree. Students are encouraged to use pre-transfer advising services to assess their readiness to transfer and estimate their time to degree completion.

Advisors from Maryland community colleges can work closely with Pre-Transfer Advisors for issues related to transfer credits and major options. Pre-Transfer Advisors help prospective transfer students determine how previous coursework will apply to University of Maryland degrees, identify remaining general education and major requirements, and locate specific resources for additional assistance. The pre-advising worksheet must be completed to receive transfer course feedback.

Email an advisor to schedule and appointment in the pre-transfer advising program.

Pre Transfer Advising Program 
0110 Hornbake Library

Transfer - B.S. in Kinesiology

Students interested in transferring to the University of Maryland College Park need to apply for admission to the University, declaring as their major as "Kinesiology". Applications can be requested or submitted on-line at the Undergraduate Admissions website.

After the student has been accepted, he/she must attend an Orientation Program, during which time the student will have the opportunity to receive an overview of the college and meet with an advisor of the Kinesiology department. At this meeting, transfer credits will be applied to the Kinesiology program and the student will register for courses to be taken during the upcoming semester.

You may consult the Kinesiology Handbook to find more details on major requirements.

Newly Admitted Transfer Students

Before meeting with an advisor and selecting classes, transfer students must have their transcript evaluated in terms of the applicability of previous course work to the Kinesiology Program.

Students may wish to use the Transfer Credit Center to assist in determining course equivalence between most universities/community colleges and UMCP courses ( This works particularly well for the University General Education requirements.

Students are encouraged to consult the UMD Pre-Transfer Advising office prior to seeking admission to UMD.

All newly admitted transfer students should report to the Kinesiology Coordinator for evaluation of transfer credits prior to their initial registration. When new transfer students from other institutions arrive on campus to register, the Department should have an evaluation of their transcript(s) as complete as the last transcript received from a previous school. Be certain that the course information from your previous school or program is complete, up to date, and on file. If not, the evaluation will be tentative and subject to change. Transfer students are advised to bring syllabi or catalogues from their previous schools to assist in the evaluation process.

Copies of transcripts should be sent to:

The Office of Admissions 
Mitchell Building 
University of Maryland 
College Park, MD 20742-2611

Transfer Credit Evaluation

At College Park, evaluation of courses for transfer is a two step process. The first step is a review to determine all courses which are ACCEPTABLE for transfer to this campus. The second step involves determining the courses among those accepted that are APPLICABLE to the specific degree program which the student has selected. The APPLICABLE credits are determined by the Kinesiology Coordinator in consultation with the student.

Acceptability of Transfer Credit

In general, we accept transfer credit for any course which:

  • was completed at an accredited institution
  • was completed with a grade of "C-" or higher (or a grade of "D" or higher in the case of Maryland public institutions only), and 
  • is comparable or equivalent to course work offered at UMD.

In general, we will not accept courses that are remedial, vocational, or technical in nature.

The total number of ACCEPTABLE credits will appear on the student's grade report under the heading, "Transfer Credit Level." The recording of these credits is crucial to the student for pre-registration purposes, since students are prioritized into requested courses based on the total number of credits earned (highest first). A student is less likely to receive requested courses, in other words, if transfer credits have not been evaluated and made a part of the student's record.

Applicability of Transfer Credits

Once the initial evaluation of ACCEPTABLE credits has been made, a secondary review is made by the Coordinator. This second step involves determining which of the courses among those accepted will APPLY to the specific degree program the student has selected. This review, in other words, will determine how accepted credits may be used to satisfy General Education Requirements, Major Requirements and any Related Studies Requirements.

In all cases of transfer between units, the Program Coordinator of the receiving unit, will declare which courses, if any, of the student's previous academic program are NOT APPLICABLE to the new program. Deletions and additions may occur both in credits attempted and correspondingly in credits earned. This evaluation is made only upon the student's initial entry into a new program. In other words, students should see their Program Coordinator before the transfer is officially processed.

A result of this kind of review is that the "Transfer Credit Level" shown on the student's grade report may differ from the number of credits which actually apply to his or her course of study. Some examples are:

  • a transfer student who has accumulated 70 credits at a community college, only 60 credits willbe applied to the required 120.
  • Students transferring from a community college will be expected to complete half of their credits at University of Maryland.
  • Courses from community colleges do not transfer in as 300 or 400 level courses.
  • Studnets trasnferring froma four-year institution may have 90 credits applied to their degree.

Transfer and Grade Point Average

When transfer students begin at the University, they have no Grade Point Average; their average will be based solely on work completed at the University of Maryland. In other words, credits transfer, but grades do not. However, for purposes of academic retention, transfer credits will be included in "hours attempted" on student grade report.

Problems with Transfer Credit Level

If the student's transfer credit level is not shown at all on the grade point report, the student has most likely neglected to provide the Office of Admissions with:

  1. an official transcript from each of the institutions he or she may have attended previously; 
  2. an official transcript from the last school attended, including a grade report from the last semester attended. 

If the student has not provided the Office of Admissions with these items, he or she should request that a copy of the transcript be sent by the previous school to:

The Office of Admissions 
Mitchell Building 
University of Maryland 
College Park, Maryland 20742

If the student has provided the Office of Admissions with these items and the "Transfer Credit Level" is still in question, the student may visit the Admission Information Desk on the ground floor of the Mitchell Building.