Robert S. Gold
Robert S. Gold was the Founding Dean of the University of Maryland School of Public Health (UMD SPH), and Director of the Public Health Informatics Research Laboratory. As Dean, he was responsible for the creation of the University of Maryland Global Public Health College Park Scholars Program, and during his tenure, the school created the post-baccalaureate Certificate Program in Global Public Health.
He currently serves as University of Maryland Professor with appointments as: Professor in the Department of Behavioral and Community Health (Primary), and Department of Medicine (Secondary), University of Maryland School of Medicine. Dr. Gold is Co-Director of the UMCP Center of Excellence for Health Information Technology Research, and Director of the UMCP/SPH Public Health Informatics Research Laboratory. He served as chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics from 2013-2017. Dr. Gold’s own research focuses on health communications projects and numerous technology development projects in the areas of asthma, cancer prevention, diabetes, HIV prevention, injury and violence prevention.
He has played a significant role in the oversight and conduct of a broad variety of national research studies such as the Government Project Officer, the National Children and Youth Fitness Studies I and II, the National School Health Education Evaluation Study, and the National Adolescent Student Health Survey. He has extensive experience in public health training, career development, mentorship, and research training of over 30 doctoral students.
SUNY at Brockport B.S. 1969 Biology
SUNY at Brockport M.S. 1971 Health Education
University of Oregon Ph.D. 1976 HLTH Ed / Comp. Sci.
Un. TX Health Science Ctr. School Public HLTH Dr.P.H. 1980 Pub. HLTH Practice
EPIB 672: Introduction to Public Health Informatics (Syllabus)
President’s Medal, University of Maryland, College Park, October 2012.
Honorary Doctor of Sciences, State University of New York, June, 2012.
President– Society for Public Health Education.
John P. McGovern Medal for Distinguished Contributions to Health Education, American School Health Association, Honolulu, HI, July 2007
Elected Fellow, American School Health Association, October 2006.
Honor Award, Highest Award of Eta Sigma Gamma, The National Health Science Honorary Association. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Public Health Educators, 2004, Washington, D.C.
Health Education Hall of Fame. Inducted November, 2002 at the Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Philadelphia, PA.
Presidential Citation of Merit – Association for the Advancement of Health Education. Presented at their annual meeting in Cincinnati, OH, March 2001.
Research and Development Award – College of Health and Human Performance, University of MD, May 2000.
Elected Fellow, American Academy of Health Behavior, February 1999.
Distinguished Service Award: Eta Sigma Gamma - The National Health Science Honorary Association. Presented at the annual meeting of Eta Sigma Gamma, 1991.
Key Leaders In Health Education: A Century of Commitment. Eta Sigma Gamma, November 1990.
Researcher of the Year Award, American School Health Association. Presented at the annual meeting of the American School Health Association, October 1989.
Distinguished Graduate Award. University of Oregon, College of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. Presented 1988.
Distinguished Service Award, American School Health Association. Presented at the annual meeting of the American School Health Association, October 1987.
Association for the Advancement of Health Education (AAHE) Scholar of the Year Award, April 1987
- Bernhardt JM, Alber J, Gold RS (2014) A Social Media Primer for Professionals: Digital Dos and Don'ts. Health Promot Pract 2014 Jan 6. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1177/1524839913517235.
- Gold RS (2013) The days are long and the years are short: a year in the shoes of a SOPHE president. Health Educ Behav 2013 Dec;40(6):640-5. DOI: 10.1177/1090198112473113. Epub 2013 Jan 23Tian, J., Atkinson, N.L., Portnoy, B., Gold, R.S. (2007). Systematic review of the current literature on formal CME evaluation studies. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 27(1):16-27.
- Saperstein, S.L., Atkinson, N.L., and Gold, R.S. (2007) The impact of internet use for weight loss. Obesity Reviews, 8, 459-465.
- Atkinson, N.L., Gold, R.S. (2008). Web 2.0 in health education preparation and practice and the responsible practitioner – A Reaction to Hanson et al. American Journal of Health Education, 39(3), 190-191.
- Atkinson, N.L., Saperstein, S.L., Desmond, S.M., Gold, R.G. Billing, A.S., Tian, J. 2009. Rural eHealth nutrition education for limited-income families: An Iterative and User-centered Design Approach. J Med Internet Res. Apr-Jun; 11(2): e21.
- Atkinson NL, Desmond SM, Saperstein, SL, Billing AS, Gold RS, and Tournas-Hardt A. (2010) Assets, Challenges, and the Potential of Technology for Nutrition Education in Rural Communities. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Volume 42 (6), 410-416.
- Atkinson NL, Desmond SM, Saperstein, SL, Billing AS, RS Gold, and Tournas-Hardt A. (2010) Assets, Challenges, and the Potential of Technology for Nutrition Education in Rural Communities. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior; 42 (6), 410-416.
- Shegog, R; Bartholomew, LK; Gold, RS; Pierrel, E; Parcel, GS; Sockrider, MM; Czyzewski, DI; Fernandez, ME; Berlin, NJ; Abramson, S. (2006) Asthma Management Simulation for Children: Translating Theory, Methods, and Strategies to Effect Behavior Change. Simulation in Healthcare: The Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. 1(3):151-159.
- Shegog R, Bartholomew LK, Czyzewski DI, Sockrider MM, Craver J, Pilney S, Mullen PD, Koeppl P, Gold RS, Fernandez M, Abramson SL. (2004) Development of an expert system knowledge base: a novel approach to promote guideline congruent asthma care. J Asthma;41(4):385-402.
- Bartholomew LK, Gold RS, Parcel GS, Czyzewski DI, Sockrider MM, Fernandez M, Shegog R, Swank P. Watch, Discover, Think, and Act: evaluation of computer-assisted instruction to improve asthma self-management in inner-city children. Patient Educ Couns. 2000 Feb;39(2-3):269-80.
- Bartholomew LK, Shegog R, Parcel GS, Gold RS, Fernandez M, Czyzewski DI, Sockrider MM, Berlin N. Watch, Discover, Think, and Act: a model for patient education program development. Patient Educ Couns. 2000 Feb;39(2-3):253-68.