The Department seeks imaginative, intelligent, and highly motivated students with a desire for challenge, a commitment to excellence, and a well-developed sense of social responsibility. Applicants must have a Master’s Degree in Public Health, Couple and Family Therapy, or in an applied behavioral or social science. Computer literacy is essential. Students with Masters Degrees other than the MPH must complete missing courses (biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health sciences, health services administration, and health behavior) within one academic year of their entry into the program.
We are fortunate to attract gifted students who are concerned about public health, social and ethical issues and who view their future profession in a broad context. The Department encourages applications from members of racial/ethnic minority groups.
Students are selected on the basis of:
- performance in previous undergraduate and/or graduate coursework,
- letters of recommendation,
- quality of empirical Master's Thesis (for those with a Master's degree),
- relevant work experience, and
- professional goals congruent with those of the program.
The Ph.D. program in Maternal and Child Health admits students for fall semester only. All application materials are due December 1st.
Important: Applicants to the Maternal and Child Health Ph.D. program starting Fall 2013 are required to submit two applications for admission. First, they will submit an application to SOPHAS and second, they will submit a separate application to the University of Maryland.
1) Go to http://www.sophas.org/ to fill out an application to SOPHAS. An application to the SOPHAS system is $120, which will cover all public health programs to which a student chooses to apply. All applicants to the MCH program must submit the following supporting documentation:
- The SOPHAS application form
- Official transcripts from all academic institutions from which you earned credit
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives
2) Approximately one week after application to SOPHAS, applicants will receive an email from the University of Maryland College Park Graduate School with instructions for completing the second supplemental application. They will be directed to http://www.gradschool.umd.edu/welcome/apply_now-H.html for the application, and a $75 non-refundable fee will be processed with the application. Students submit the following information:
- Maryland Residency Information
- Emergency Contact Information
University of Maryland at College Park
Enrollment Services Operations
Application for Graduate Admission
0130 Mitchell Building
College Park, MD 20742
All information required for this application should be submitted on-line and will be sent directly by Graduate Admission to the Department of Family Science for review. No additional hard copies are required.
Please note that for the Fall 2021 admissions, there is no GRE requirement.
Further Questions and Assistance with Application
Complete instructions and a checklist to guide you through the second application process for the University of Maryland are available on the Graduate School Admissions website.
If you have additional questions about the application or would like to speak to a graduate student about our program, please contact our department at: