Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Q: How do I change my Major to Kinesiology?

A: We strongly suggest students explore our website, inlcuding the handbook, to determine if they want to change their major.  The process of changing your major to Kinesiology has two parts.  First, you will need to attend a Change of Major Workshop). 

Click here to schedule to attend a Change of Major Workshop

Second, you will need to attend an Academic Plan Workshop.

Note: It will take up to 10 business days after a student attends the Academic Plan workshop for the plan to be reviewed and the major to be officially declared.

IMPORTANT: Students who already had two unsuccessful attempts of benchmark courses, or who need a Dean's exception to repeat a required benchmark course (BSCI105, BSCI201, BSCI202 or KNES core) will not be allowed to change into the Kinesiology major. Contact a KNES advisor if you need clarification.

Q: How does advising work in Kinesiology?

A: Kinesiology students do not have an assigned advisor, rather the advisors work as a team to serve the students.  Some students choose to meet with the same advisor every time and some choose the advsior based on which meeting time works for their schedule. Either way works!  We strongly encourage students meet with an advisor regularly to discuss course requirements, benchmarks, academic plans, internships, schedules, and career planning.

Have a quick question?  You can contact an advisor here e-mail (link sends e-mail).

Want to make and appointment?  Click here!

Q: What happens if my GPA falls below a 2.0?

A: If your GPA falls below a 2.0, you are no longer in good standing at the University. If this happens to you, you are placed on academic probation and it is reflected on your transcript. Your first step is to schedule an appointment with an advisor in the Center for Academic Success and Achievement. They will assist you in developing an academic plan for the semester. Someone there will also serve as your advisor for the semester you are on probation. Advising for students on probation is mandatory. You will not be permitted to register without their permission. The sooner you make an appointment, the better!

Q: What is the Center for Academic Success and Achievement?

A: The Center for Academic Success and Achievement is a valuable resource to all students in Kinesiology. The center is located in 0222 SPH and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm. Here, students can receive information about our different majors, career opportunities, professional programs and graduate schools. The Center for Academic Success and Achievement is also responsible for advising students on academic probation and student-athletes. If you fall into this category, you are required to see an advisor from this office. Please visit the Center for Academic Success and Achievement website information on advising and other services that are offered.