Click here to access the Internship Database - Majors only.
Internships are considered a critical piece of the Kinesiology major. Internships are invaluable in helping students focus on career options, gain experience, establish professional contacts and deciding whether a particular field is truly a good fit both professionally and personally.
To optimize the learning experience, students should possess, minimally, an introductory knowledge (preferably, a more in-depth knowledge) of the subject matter. Therefore, most students consider internships during their sophomore, junior and senior years following the completion of related kinesiology core and options courses.
Students majoring in Kinesiology may complete internships as elective credits. Internship courses and opportunities are available during Fall, Spring, Summer and Winter terms.
Courses available: KNES289, KNES389, KNES389K and KNES498. You may complete an internship course from 1 to 3 credits.
For every credit hour, students need to put in 45 hours of time at the site:
- 1 credit = 45 hours
- 2 credits = 90 hours
- 3 credits = 135 hours
How to sign up for an internship course:
- Select a site and a supervisor (through internship database, an advisor's guidance, the listserv notices, or self-selection)
- Complete internship application form.
- Meet with Dr. Betty Brown (internship coordinator) or Dr. Joanne Klossner for internship approval.
- You will receive an email when you have the permission to register for the internship course.
- Deadline: Internships must be added by the end of schedule adjustment of each term.
GPA: 2.5 or higher. Students with GPA below 2.5 must receive permission prior registering for an internship course from Dr. Marvin Scott.
Students may only register for a total of 15 credits of internship courses during the major.
Internship course requirements:
- KNES289 (BSCI201 completed with a grade of "C" or better)
- KNES389** (Sophomore standing and at least 2 KNES core courses and BSCI201/202 completed with a grade of "C" or better)
- KNES389K** (Junior standing and at least 4 KNES core courses completed)
- KNES498** (Senior standing; 5 or more KNES courses)
** KNES internship courses cannot be used to fulfill KNES Upper Level Option requirement.
Students are encouraged to complete a variety of internships experiences. Each internship course must represent a unique experience. The same experience at the same site must not be repeated.
Important: Kinesiology internships courses are offered to Kinesiology majors. Non-majors must have a faculty in the Kinesiology department as the internship sponsor.