Are you considering applying to the University of Maryland and majoring in Kinesiology?  Or are you already a University of Maryland student and you're thinking of changing your major to KNES or adding it as a double major?  Explore your options below!

Entering as a Freshmen

As a first-semester freshmen, a student may be granted admission into the Kinesiology (KNES) major upon admission to the University of Maryland, College Park. Entering freshmen can list KNES as their intended major on their application.

Transfer Students

Before declaring Kinesiology as your major, we recommend meeting with Pre-Transfer advising to review how your earned credit will apply to your degree at UMD. Pre-transfer advisors are available on-site at the following Maryland community colleges: AACC, MC, PGCC, and CSM.  Their UMD office is located in 0110 Hornbake Library.

Students interested in transferring to the University of Maryland, College Park need to apply for admission to the university, declaring Kinesiology as their major. Applications can be requested or submitted online through the Unergraduate Admissions website

After the student has been accepted, they must attend an Orientation Program. At orientation, the student will have the opportunity to meet with acadmeic advisors in the Kinesiology department and review how their transfer credit applies to their degree progress. Advisors will also assist with course selection and registration for the upcoming semester. Additional information about preparing for orientation is available through the Center for Academic Success and Achievement.

Changing your Major

Students interested in changing their major to Kinesiology or wanting to declare Kinesiology as a double major or degree must register for and attend a change of major workshop.  Please be sure to register for a workshop, and not an idividual appointment with an advisor.  After completing this step, students will need to attend an academic plan workshop with the Center for Academic Success and Achievement. A student's major will be officially changed within 15 business days of submitting a completed graduation plan to the CASA advising office (0222 SPH Building).