National Public Health Week 2021 Events at the School of Public Health
In recognition of National Public Health Week, the UMD School of Public Health and Maryland Public Health Association are hosting several events. Register for our 8th annual Public Health Research at Maryland conference, which will take place April 13-15, by April 11th.
- The NPHW Forum on April 5 featuring a conversation about the community-led movements that are creating a stronger, safer, healthier and more inclusive world
- NPHW and AJPH: A Dialogue on April 6, a fun Q&A about this month's NPHW issue of the journal
- The NPHW Twitter chat (let's get public health to trend on April 7!)
- 2021 APHA Policy Action Institute, "Building Bridges: Creating Health" on April 8 and 9, which will bring policy to the forefront during NPHW.
UMD and Maryland Public Health Association Events
- The Virtual Plain Language Workshop on April 7 from 2:00-5:00 pm will be facilitated by the Horowitz Center for Health Literacy Director Cynthia Baur and introduce attendees to, or reinforce their knowledge of, plain language techniques to help build health communication expertise.
- Public Health Night in Annapolis (Virtual) on April 7 at 7 pm is hosted by the Maryland Public Health Association (MdPHA). Francine Baker '17, MdPHA president, will host this event featuring a legislator awards ceremony and a presentation of legislative priorities for 2021.
- The SPH Student and Alumni Night of Networking on April 8 from 5:00-6:00 pm will bring together current students with alumni to learn about job searching, skill building, applying to graduate school and other essential topics for navigating a career in the field of public health.
- The Fact or Fake Teach-In: What to Believe about the 2020 Elections and Aftermath on April 9 from 12:00-1:00 pm will be led by CHL's Cynthia Baur and focus on the 2020 US elections, the Jan. 6 insurrection and aftermath and how we form our beliefs and respond to the events.
- The Constructing COVID-19 Resilience town hall on April 9 from 4:30-6 pm, is hosted by MdPHA, and will address the current state of the COVID-19 vaccine roll-out in Maryland.
Visit the Maryland Public Health Association for more events.
NPHW Themes for Each Day
- Monday: Rebuilding
- Tuesday: Advancing Racial Equity
- Wednesday: Strengthening Community
- Thursday: Galvanizing Climate Justice
- Friday: Constructing COVID-19 Resilience
- Saturday: Uplifting Mental Health and Wellness
- Sunday: Elevating the Essential and Health Workforce