Dr. Alice Horowitz, a former senior scientist, worked at the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Health and the National Institutes of Health. Her research focus has been on dental caries (tooth decay), prevention and early detection and oral cancer prevention. She was instrumental in initiating the need to address health literacy in dentistry. She has published numerous peer-reviewed publications and book chapters and has received several prestigious awards.
SPH | Room 2367F
Areas of Interest
Prevention of Chronic Diseases; Decrease Health Disparities; Increase Health Literacy
University of Iowa
University of Maryland
- Dimensions of Dental Hygiene, for Research—December 2018
- American Dental Association Honorary Member—October 2014
- Certificate of Achievement Recognition Delta Omega, UMD SPH—April 2014
- University of Maryland, School of Public Health, Alumni of the Year—2012
- University of California San Francisco, John C. Greene Lecture—2010
- US Public Health Service, Surgeon General David Satcher Keynote Lecture—2008
- American Board of Dental Public Health, Honorary Diplomate—2007
- National Association of Public Health Dentistry, President’s Award—2007
- New York Dental Foundation, Foundation of Excellence in Research Award—2006
- NIH Plain Language Outstanding Award—2004
- NIH Plain Language Honorable Mention Awards (two)—2004
- NIH Plain Language Honorable Mention Award—2003
- DHHS Assistant Secretary for Health’s Award for Outstanding Team Performance—2002
- Hispanic Dental Association President’s Award—2002
- State of Maryland, Champions against Oral Cancer Award—2001
- NIDCR/NIH Special Merit Award—2001
- American Public Health Association, Oral Health Section, John W. Knutson Award for Distinguished Service—2000
- DHHS Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service—2000
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry, Distinguished Service Award—1999
- NIDCR/NIH Group Cash Award—1999
- NIH Director’s Award—1999
- The Chief Dental Officer Exemplary Service Award—1997
- Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors, Distinguished Service Award—1993
- International Association for Dental Research, H. Trendley Dean Award —1992
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry, Special Merit Award —1988
- NIH Merit Award—1985
- Sustained High Quality Work Performance—1974
Oguntimein M.*, Butler III,J, Desmond,S. Green, K, He,X. Horowitz,AM. Examining diabetics’ knowledge and understanding of the bi-directional relationship between diabetes and periodontal disease. J Am Bd of Fam Med. 2020.
Horowitz AM, Vamos CA. Establish a pro-HPV vaccine practice. Decisions in Dentistry. 2019;5(9):41-44.
Horowitz AM, Child W, Maybury C*. Perspectives of certified nurse midwives and obstetric residents: Their role in educating and referring gravid women for dental care. Am J Health Behav. 2019;43:1162-1170.
Maybury C*, Horowitz AM, La Touche-Howard , Child W, Battanni K, Wang MQ. Oral health and dental care among low-income women. Am J Health Behav. 2019;43(3):556-568.
Allukian M Jr., Carter-Pokras O, Gooch B, Horowitz A, Iida H, Jacob M, Kleinman D, Kumar J, Maas W, Pollick H, Rozier R. Science, politics and communication: The case of community water fluoridation in the US. Annals of Epidemiology. 2017;28(6):401-410.
Thompson, EL, Daley EM, Vamos CA, Horowitz AM, Catalanotto FA, DeBate RD, Merrell LM, Griner S, Vazquez-Otero, Kline NS. HPV-related oral cancer prevention: Health Literacy approaches to improving communication between dental hygienists and patients. J Dent Hygiene 2017;91(4):37-45.
Horowitz AM, Kleinman DV, Atchison KA, Weintraub JA, Rozier RG. The evolving role of health literacy in improving oral health. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2020;269:95-114.
Battani K. Horowitz AM., Pregnancy and Oral Health. In: Bowen D, Pieren. Dental Hygiene: Theory and Practice, 4th Ed Elsevier. 2019
Allukian M. Jr., Horowitz AM. Oral Diseases: A neglected Epidemic. In: Levy BS. Sidel VW. Social Injustice and Public Health Oxford University Press. 3rd Ed Oxford Press. 2019