Have specific questions about the graduate admissions process or requirements? Please contact one of our graduate directors.
Applications to most graduate programs at the University of Maryland School of Public Health are processed through the Schools of Public Health Application System (SOPHAS). The exceptions to this are applicants who are applying for admission to the Kinesiology MA and PhD programs, the Couple and Family Therapy MS program, the Family Science PhD program, and the Certificate for Global Health. Applications for these specific graduate programs must be submitted through the University of Maryland Graduate Application only.
For all graduate programs other than those listed above, please follow the following application instructions:
STEP 1. SOPHAS APPLICATION
- Complete the online SOPHAS application
- Choose the University of Maryland College Park School of Public Health program to which you would like to apply.
- NOTE: You may submit an application to only one UMD SPH program per application cycle.
- Follow the SOPHAS application instructions.
- NOTE: All UMD SPH programs require an undergraduate degree, three letters of recommendation, official GRE test scores (taken within last 5 years) and personal statement of purpose and objectives.
- Submit your official transcripts and test scores to SOPHAS.
- NOTE: The University of Maryland does not accept any test scores outside of the SOPHAS process. SOPHAS applications will not be verified until all official transcripts are received and reviewed by SOPHAS. International applicants must submit a WES-evaluated transcript to SOPHAS for all non-US or Canadian coursework.
- Pay SOPHAS application fee.
- Allow up to four weeks for your application to be processed by SOPHAS and mailed to the University of Maryland Graduate School.
STEP 2: UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION
- Within two weeks of your application being “verified” by SOPHAS, your information will be sent to the University of Maryland Graduate School.
- You will receive an email inviting you to complete the University of Maryland Supplemental Application.
- NOTE: Please do not search online for a supplemental application, as you will be emailed a personalized email specific to the University of Maryland College Park Graduate School.
- Complete part two of the Supplemental Application and pay the application fee of $75.
- NOTE: Part one of the Supplemental Application will be pre-populated with information from your SOPHAS application.
Congratulations! Your application is now ready for review by the Graduate Admissions team. You will receive an email notification from the Graduate School when the final decision has been rendered.
- To meet a program deadline, applicants must submit both the SOPHAS application and supplemental application on the stated date.
- It may take a few weeks for your application to be verified through SOPHAS and you will receive a link by email to complete the supplemental application when your application has been verified by SOPHAS.
- Please find the University of Maryland School of Public Health graduate program page on SOPHAS or visit the Graduate Program Admission Deadlines and Requirements for full details on our programs.