Dr. Liu is a professor of epidemiology and the chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. He graduated from UCLA School of Public Health in 2002, with a doctoral degree in epidemiology.
Dr. Liu’s research focuses on social and behavioral aspects of HIV/AIDS and research methodology. In the past five years, his research projects mainly covered social and risk networks for HIV infection, stigma, text messaging in intervention delivery, survey methodology (e.g., sampling hidden populations), and advanced analytical techniques (structural equation modeling, actor-partner interdependent modeling, and psychometric analysis).
Dr. Liu has been actively and productively involved in research activities. Since 1997, he has participated, as a PI, Co-PI, or consultant, in 13 HIV-related studies in China and 8 studies in the United States. He has continuously received research funding from NIH (as PI on R03, R21, and R01 grants), the Foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR), the International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID), the UCLA AIDS Institute, and other agencies. So far, Dr. Liu has authored a total of 96 peer-reviewed papers, including 77 publications (h-index: 27) in English journals and 19 in Chinese journals.
MS., Ph.D., Epidemiology
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Publication in 2016
- Guida J, Hu L, and Liu H. The Impact of Occupational Stigma on the Social Networks of Older Female Sex Workers: Results from a Three-Site Egocentric Network Study in China. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 2016;30(1):1-3.
- Zhang H, Teng T, Lu H, Zhao Y, Liu H, Yin L, Sun Z, He X, Qian H, Ruan Y, Shao Y, Vermund S. Poppers Use and Risky Sexual Behaviors among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Beijing, China. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2015;160:42-48.
- Liu H, Morisky D, Lin X, Ma E, Jiang B, Yin Y. Bias in Self-Reported Condom Use: Association Between Over-Reported Condom Use and Syphilis in a Three-Site Study in China. AIDS and Behavior, 2016 ;20(6):1343-5.
- Rodriguez-Hart C#, Liu H, Nowak RG, Orazulike I, Zorowitz S, Crowell TA, Baral SD, Blattner W, Charurat M. Serosorting and Sexual Risk for HIV Infection at the Ego-Alter Dyadic Level: An Egocentric Sexual Network Study Among MSM in Nigeria. AIDS Behav. 2016.
- Liu H. Egocentric Network and Condom Use among Mid-Age Female Sex Workers in China: A Multilevel Modeling Analysis. AIDS Patient Care and STD 2016;30(4):155-165
- Liu H, Dumenci, Morisky, Xu Y, Li X, and Jiang B. Syphilis among mid-age female sex workers in China: a three-site cross-sectional study. BMJ Open, 2016.
- Stahlman S#, Nowak RG, Liu H, Crowell TA, Ketende S, Blattner WA, Charurat ME, Baral SD. Online Sex-Seeking Among Men who have Sex with Men in Nigeria: Implications for Online Intervention. AIDS Behav. 2016.
- Liu Y, Wang J, Qian HZ, Liu H, Yin L, Lu H, Zhang C, Ruan Y, Shao Y, Vermund SH. Seeking Male Sexual Partners via Internet and Traditional Venues among Chinese Men Who Have Sex with Men: Implications for HIV Risk Reduction Interventions. AIDS Behav. 2016.
- Xu Y, Lin X, Chen Y, Liu Y, Liu H. Ageism, resilience, coping, family support, and quality of life among older people living with HIV/AIDS in Nanning, China. Global Public Health, 2016 (Early published online)
- Ramadhani H#, Liu H, Nowak R, Crowell T, Ndomb T, Gaydos C, Peel S, Ndembi N, Baral S, Ake J, Charurat M. Sexual partner characteristics and incident rectal Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis infections among gay men and other men who have sex with men (MSM): a prospective cohort in Abuja and Lagos, Nigeria. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 2016 (Early published online).