Ph.D., Family Resource Management, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2000
- FMSC 341 - Personal and Family Finance
- FMSC 498D - Credit Cards and College Students
- FMSC 498B - Death and Loss in Family Life (co-instructor)
- Director of Research, National Institute for Personal Finance Employee Education, Virginia Tech.
- Co-editor, Personal Finances and Worker Productivity, Virginia Tech.
- Vice President, 2007-present. Persona Finance Employee Education Foundation.
- Board Member, 2010-present. National Consumer League.
- Member, 2009-present. National JumpStart Coalition Board.
- Mid Career Award, 2009. American Council on Consumer Interests.
- Personal Finance Seminar for Professionals (team leader), 2009. Outstanding Educational Program, Association for Financal Counseling and Planning Education.
- Outstanding Faculty Woman of Color, 2006. University of Maryland.
- George F. Kramer Outstanding Practitioner Award, 2005. College of Health and Human Performance, University of Maryland.
- Personal Finance Seminar for Professionals, 2005. East Region Finalist and National Award Winner, Dean Don Felker Financial Management Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Outstanding Educational Program (National Initiative Management Team Member), 2005. National Extension Association of Family & Consumer Sciences.
Kim, J., Garman, E. T., & Sorhando, B. (in press). Credit counseling and debt management impacts on financial stressors and financial management behaviors, credit counseling, financial behavior. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences.
Kim, J. & Chatterjee, S. (forthcoming, 2012). Childhood financial socialization and young adults financial management. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 23(2).
Kim, H., DeVaney, S., & Kim, J. (forthcoming, 2012). Which low and moderate income families purchase life insurance? Family and Consumer Science Research Journal
Cha, S., Kim, J., & Anderson, E. (2011). Chronic health condition, depression and the role of financial wellbeing: How Middle Age Group (45-64) and Older Adults (65-79) Differ? International Journal of Human Ecology, 12(2), 77-93.
Chatterjee, S. & Kim, J. (2011). Asset ownership of recent immigrants: An examination of nativity and socioeconomic factors. Migration Letters, 8(2), 141-152.
Xiao, J., Ford, M., & Kim, J. (2011). Consumer financial behavior: An interdisciplinary review of selected theories and research. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 39(4), 399-414.
Kim, J., LaTaillade, & Kim, H. (2011) Family process and adolescents’ financial behaviors of adolescents.Journal of Family and Economic Issues. 32. 668-679.
Kim, H., & Kim, J. (2010). Financially Distressed Consumers' Information Search for Retirement Plans. Journal of Family Economic Issues, 31, 51-62.
Braun, B., Kim, J., & Anderson (2009). E. Family health & financial literacy—Forging the connection. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences.
Kim, J. (2007). Workplace financial education program: Does it have an impact on employees' personal finances? Journal of Family and Consumer Science, 99(1), 43-47.