Research Interaction Day 2023
This spring semester 2023 event is an exciting opportunity to highlight public health research and
practice activities through poster presentations and lightning round talks. We welcome poster
submissions and lightning round talks from community partners as well as students, staff and faculty at
the University of Maryland School of Public Health, at colleges and schools across the University of
Maryland campus, and at other higher education institutions in Maryland participating in public health-
related research and practice.
Awards and Judging
Students from the University of Maryland School of Public Health can submit one poster to be presented
and included for judging in the awards competition. Categories and prizes include:
- an award for Research on Health Disparities, in memory of Mitchell Stewart (son of SPH staff member Cynthia Kershaw)
- Gold Award for Public Health Innovations
This year’s competition judging is led by:
- Professor Dina Borzekowski in her role as the Director of Student Research for the Delta Omega Gamma Zeta Chapter leadership team
Spring semester 2023 Research Interaction Day will be similar to University of Maryland School of Public
Health Poster Research Day events held in prior years. This event was often held concurrently with the
much larger Public Health Research @ Maryland conference co-sponsored by the University of
Maryland, Baltimore. The Public Health Research @ Maryland conference is postponed for 2023 in order
to integrate more fully other public higher education institutions in Maryland that are involved in public
- How does this annual event differ from the annual Public Health Research at Maryland Event from year’s past?
The Public Health Research at Maryland Event co-sponsored by the University of Maryland, Baltimore
was a much larger event with keynotes and panels. This event is on hiatus for 2023 in order to integrate
more fully other public higher education institutions.
- I’m a doctoral student at the UMD School of Architecture, Planning & Preservation conducting research on the built environment and health. Can I participate in the poster session?
Yes, we would be very excited to learn about your work.
- I’m an associate professor at the University of Maryland School of Nursing interested in presenting my work and finding collaborators at the University of Maryland School of Public Health. Can I participate?
We are enthusiastic for you register to attend and present your work in poster form or via a lightning round talk to share your work and find potential collaborators among other presenters and event attendees.
- I am an undergraduate student in psychology and public health involved in public health practice activities. I want to participate but I do not have experience preparing posters. Do you have any resources?
This would be a great experience for you to learn how to develop a poster with a faculty mentor or your advisor and present it. In the registration and submission form we have instructions and links to poster guides and templates.
- I am a graduate student, and in early February 2023 I presented a poster at the annual scientific conference specific to my public health research. Can I present the same poster at this event so that I do not have to pay more money to print two?
Yes! We would appreciate learning about your presentation and the conference where your work was highlighted. Other students may benefit from learning about your experience.