Opportunities for Graduate Student Engagement in Research with BCH Faculty
The document, Opportunities for Graduate Student Engagement in Research with BCH Faculty, is a living document that provides updated opportunities for graduate student engagement in faculty member's research projects. This spreadsheet includes both paid and unpaid research opportunities currently available within the department.
The goal of the doctoral program is to develop health professionals competent in understanding the health needs of populations who are qualified to conduct research in order to implement programs and policies aimed at improving the public's health. The program provides students with the opportunity to develop research skills essential in making significant contributions to the scientific and professional literature in behavioral and community health. To see a list of skills doctoral students are expected to have upon graduation, review the PhD Essential Skills Table.
The PhD program may be completed either full-time or part-time, although full-time is preferred. The majority of classes begin at 4:00 or 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. On occasion, a class will begin at 7:00 pm or will be held from 1:00-4:00 pm, but those occasions are rare. The courses offered each semester vary and to get a full listing of current course offerings, go to www.testudo.umd.edu.
All students must complete their degree in nine (9) years in accordance with the University of Maryland Graduate School policy. For an outline of required coursework and additional requirements of the program, please click on the appropriate PhD Program Guidelines below.
The Qualifying Examination must be taken within the semester the student is first eligible. Students must pass the written and oral components of the exam and complete 15 credits of Individual Research Plan credits before advancing to candidacy. The Director of Graduate Studies must have an updated and approved (signed by the student's advisor indicating the student's eligibility) program plan before taking Qualifying Examination.
Dissertation Proposal Guidelines
All Doctoral degree students are required to complete a dissertation-HLTH 899 Doctoral Dissertation Research (12 credits). This can be done using the traditional 5 chapter model or the manuscript model. Please review manuscript option guidelines. All dissertation credits will be given an incomplete grade until the research is completed. The student should enroll under the section number of his/her dissertation advisor. No student may formally propose a dissertation topic until advanced to candidacy.
Relevant forms for students:
- PhD Program Competency Matrix
- Program Plan for PhD students enrolled Fall 2018 and later
- Program Plan for PhD students enrolled 2013 to 2017
- Dissertation/Project/Thesis Fund Request Form
- Advancement to Candidacy
- Dissertation/Thesis Proposal Format
- Defense Meeting Announcement Form
- Proposal Approval
- Graduate/Teaching Assistant Application
- Guidelines and Format for Manuscript Dissertation Option
- Graduate Student Independent Study Application
- Graduate Student Incomplete Contract
- Request for Graduate Student Advisor Change Form
- BCH Travel Fund Policy and Application
- BCH Authorship Guidelines
- BCH Graduate Student Mentoring Expectations
Waiver Forms for Students
- Request for Waiver of Substitution or a Graduate Course Requirement
- Request for Waiver of a Department Policy or Regulation