Skip to main content

Non-Degree Seeking Students

As an academic institution, we support students pursuing degrees at all levels, but recognize that there are special circumstances for each student, including those seeking to study without pursuing a degree. These non-degree seeking students should follow the application process specific to them depending on whether they are interested in undergraduate or graduate course work. 

Undergraduate Programs

If you are a transfer applicant without a bachelor’s degree and wish to apply for admission as a non-degree-seeking student, you should follow the transfer application instructions. Please be sure to indicate "non-degree-seeking" on the application.

You must submit a completed application, official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended, and the application fee. You will be reviewed under the same standards for admission as degree-seeking students. If you have already completed a bachelor’s degree, transcripts are not required; however, since you may need to demonstrate that you have met prerequisites for courses, it is a good idea to have one available to advisors. Admitted non-degree seeking students register on a space-available basis beginning on the first day of class.

If you wish to enroll for one semester as a visiting student and transfer the coursework back to your home institution, you must submit the transfer application, official transcript and a letter of permission from an academic advisor or dean at your home institution.

Graduate Programs 

If you wish to take graduate courses without pursuing a graduate degree, you have three options:

  1. Non-Degree Seeking Student,

  2. Visiting Graduate Student Status, or

  3. Golden Identification Cardholder Status (for Senior Citizens)

Visit the UMD Graduate School for details on how to pursue one of these non-degree options.