SGN | Some Good News: Feeding the Frontline in Maryland
Each week, our Happiness and Wellness Initiative will share "some good news" from the SPH and our extended community, inspired by SGN: Some Good News with John Krasinski. You can submit your own good news by email to: email@example.com
Stephanie Grutzmacher MS ‘04, PhD ‘07, a former University of Maryland School of Public Health employee, is doing public health good during the COVID-19 pandemic by providing meals to ICU and ER healthcare workers throughout Maryland. While Stephanie now lives and works in Oregon, she remains a Marylander at heart. Stephanie has raised more than $6,000 with over 70 people from the School of Public Health, University of Maryland and friends across the US. Food will continue to be sent across the Maryland region as people continue to give and until the money runs out.
Stephanie and those who partnered with her via social media have been inspired by healthcare employees around the world working long, hard hours to provide medical services during the COVID-19 pandemic. Recognizing the cost to deliver fresh meals for a 30 person hospital shift was only about $300, Stephanie committed to raising funds and organizing deliveries from local restaurants. Not only does this effort support and encourage healthcare workers, but it also helps local businesses during this challenging economic time.
Stephanie’s call to action quickly led to a broader network and team approach, offering multiple meals to ICU and ER healthcare workers in hospitals throughout Maryland. Volunteers have been welcomed to suggest hospitals and restaurants for inclusion, as well as assist with outreach. Lindsey Winter BS ‘13, MPH ‘17 (Kinesiology), Patty Fanflik PhD ‘14 (Family Science), and Kate Shoemaker (UMD) have helped to fundraise and coordinate orders. Twelve meals have been delivered thus far and the response is heartfelt:
We are all putting in super long hours, and we are all so emotionally and physically exhausted every day. Not having to worry about food is literally a lifesaver. It boosts morale and feeds us and gives us the energy to care for our patients. Thank you!
—Kat, MICU Nurse, Johns Hopkins
From the bottom of my heart thank you … for feeding some hungry and stressed ICU Nurses, Doctors and Respiratory Therapists! #ICUstrong
—Mariel, ICU Nurse, Anne Arundel Medical Center
When I see our facilities crew devouring it with huge smiles... then I’d say that’s a good sign.
—Kevin, CEO, Health Care for the Homeless Health Care for the Homeless
The work of this inspiring team of givers is not finished yet. They have three meals planned this week, and food will continue to be sent across the Maryland region as people continue to give, and until the money runs out. It’s inspiring to learn how Stephanie, our SPH and UMD TERP family, and the broader community are doing good.
List of Deliveries (spread across various shifts):
- Delivery #1: MICU, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore (Nalley Fresh)
- Delivery #2: ER, MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, Olney (Cava Mezze)
- Delivery #3: Progressive Care Unit, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore (Papi's Tacos)
- Delivery #4: ER, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore (Souvlaki Greek Cuisine)
- Delivery #5: ER, Peninsula Regional Medical Center, Salisbury (Kellyn's Kafe)
- Delivery #6: Clinic Staff, Health Care for the Homeless, Baltimore (LandofKush)
- Delivery #7: MICU, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore (Alexander's Tavern)
- Delivery #8: ICU, Anne Arundel Medical Center, Annapolis (Leeward Market Cafe & Pizzeria)
- Delivery #9: Holy Cross Hospitals in Germantown/Silver Spring (As requested, 250 Gatorades and Vitamin Waters)
- Delivery #10: IMC, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore (&Pizza)
- Delivery #11: PCU, Meritus Health/Hagerstown Hospital, Hagerstown (Fajita Grande)
- Delivery #12: ER, Sibley Memorial Hospital, Johns Hopkins Medicine, DC (Beefsteak) *This meal was funded entirely by Mimi Cooper in memory of her father, Jerry Raffel, who received care at Sibley towards the end of his life.
- Delivery #13: Healthcare workers, Montgomery County Correctional Facility, Boyds (Gateway Cafe)
- Deliveries #14, 15: Pending delivery to Prince George’s County, Southern Maryland, and more.
SPH Community of Givers:
- Bonnie Braun
- Cinthia Ennacio
- Patty Fanflik
- Sarah Horn
- Ginelle Jurlano
- Erin McClure
- Lauren Messina
- Priya Parikh
- Jen Robinson
- Elizabeth Rosenberg
- Monique Thornton
- BreAnna Davis Tribble
- Lindsey Winter
UMD Campus Community of Givers:
- Kira Burkhart
- Samantha DiFillipo
- Meredith Epstein
- Elizabeth Gordon
- Elyse Evans Kircher
- Chau Kerchner
- Elizabeth Kimble
- Hiwot Menbere
- Michelle Miller
- Amanda RocklerKate Shoemaker
- Kristen Skendall
- Laura Yingling