SPH Graduation Information Spring 2023
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!
We look forward to celebrating our Summer and Winter 2022 and Spring 2023 graduates at our Spring 2023 in person commencement ceremony taking place on May 23, 2023 @ 4:00pm in Xfinity Center. This is not a ticketed ceremony.
- Be sure you have met with your department advisor to confirm all University requirements have been met
- Settle your student account (financial holds or administrative holds)
- Update your address and email address on Testudo
- Purchase your regalia from the University Book Center
- Conduct an exit interview with the Office of Financial Aid
Information on Photos
Graduates participating in the campus-wide commencement ceremony will receive color proofs by mail approximately two weeks after commencement. You are not obligated to purchase prints. For more information, contact GradImages at 800.628.4509 or visit www.gradimages.com
Campus Wide Ceremony
Monday, May 22, 2023 at 7:00pm
The University of Maryland will host its Spring 2023 Commencement on Monday, May 22, 2023, at 7 p.m. for Winter 2022 and Spring 2023 graduates.
Additional information regarding the campus-wide ceremony, tickets and safety measures, please see commencement.umd.edu .
For any further questions or information not found on this page, please contact SPHAdvising@umd.edu. Please include your full name, if you are a graduate or family member, and your question.
It is never too early to start planning graduation. However, there are many dates, deadlines, and requirements you must meet in order to attend commencement and receive your degree.
To earn a Bachelor's Degree from the School of Public Health, Students Must:
- Fulfill the requirements for the chosen major
- Complete major required courses with a grade of C- or better
- Earn a minimum of 120 unduplicated credit hours (or 150 for double degree) with at least a 2.0GPA for all UMD coursework attempted
- Earn at least 12 credits of major required coursework during their last 30 credits
- Earn at least 15 credits of upper-level (300 or 400) coursework in their last 30 credits
- Fulfill General Education or CORE requirements
It is important to understand applying for graduation does not guarantee that you will earn your degree. As a candidate for graduation, your record will be reviewed by your department prior to commencement, as well as after commencement, once grades have posted for the current semester. Only once you have been cleared by your department will your degree be posted to your record and your diploma sent. Students MUST BE on track to completing all degree requirements in that given semester in order to remain on the graduation list and walk-in commencement. If a student is finishing a final course over summer or winter, he/she should apply for graduation in the following term. Students will not be permitted to walk early in a commencement ceremony.
Graduation Application Checklist
- Apply for graduation through Testudo
- Contact the UMD Bookstore for regalia information
To deliver the student commencement address is a great honor and a true challenge. A great commencement speaker shares something about themselves and their journey in the school; engages with students and parents; reflects on opportunities and inspires us for the future; and helps us understand what a career in public health means to them.
To be considered you must be an undergraduate student in the School of Public Health who is graduating in the current semester. A committee will review the applications and invite the selected applicants to deliver a 3 minute speech before making a final selection. The selected student speaker will be asked to attend commencement rehearsal.
Regarding your family coming from overseas, if your relatives are applying for a B2 tourist visa you should provide the relatives with a copy of your (the student's) passport and a copy of an enrollment verification form for the student. This should be sufficient, and no additional letter would be considered in their application.
You can request the enrollment verification through Testudo. See additional information at https://registrar.umd.edu/petitions-forms/enrollment-degree-verification.html.