Skip to main content

Change of Major Information

The School of Public Health offers undergraduate degrees in Community Health, Kinesiology, Public Health Science, and Family Science.

Students currently enrolled in the University of Maryland who want to declare one of our majors must complete the change of major process explained below. Newly-admitted freshman and transfer students looking to change their major must contact Admissions at

The major change process must be completed in the same semester in which you begin.

Information on How to Become an SPH Major

Register for an upcoming change of major workshop to declare an SPH major.  Please read the document in its entirety on how to complete the ELMS module and submit your draft graduation plan for approval.

If you need assistance with your graduation plan, please email the CASA office,

For more information on the Global Health major (GBHL), please visit the Global Health website.

Student-Athletes and Students on Academic Probation/Dismissal

  • Student-athletes must meet with April Khaing after they have attended the Graduation Plan workshop before their major will be declared.
  • Students on Academic Probation/Dismissal must schedule an SPH probation/dismissal/re-enrollment appointment with Kendyl Oliver or Renee Stokes, after they have attended the Graduation Plan workshop before their major will be declared.

Come to our walk-in hours during the semester. 

Questions regarding the change of major process should be directed to the SPH Center for Academic Success and Achievement at 301-405-2357 or

Information for Transfer Students

Fall Admission

  • Priority Application Deadline - March 1
  • Regular Application Deadline - June 1

Spring Admission

  • Priority Application Deadline - August 1
  • Regular Application Deadline - November 15

Confirmation Deadline for Fall/Spring: 30 days from date of admission

For more information please visit the UMD Undergraduate Admissions website.

Make sure you have submitted the following items to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions:

  1. The completed online application for undergraduate admission. This includes an essay of no more than 300 words describing why you wish to transfer for the University of Maryland.
  2. A nonrefundable application fee of $65, sent with your application. You may pay online or be billed separately by the University.
  3. An official copy of all college transcripts sent directly from the registrar's office of all former colleges. A final transcript must also be sent upon completion of any courses in progress.
  4. An official copy of your high school transcript, as well as SAT and/or ACT scores. These are not required if you have completed more than 30 semester or 45 quarter hours at the time you apply to the University of Maryland.
  • Optional: A resume or statement of academic and extracurricular activities.
  • Optional: A letter of recommendation. You may submit a letter of recommendation through the online application.

International applicants must submit additional application materials and should review the international applicant guidelines.

For more information please visit the UMD Undergraduate Admissions website.

As a new student to the University, there are steps in place to help ease your transition, help you get familiar with the University and the resources that are available to you. Find additional information on the UMD orientation process.

For further information on transferring credits from another University/College to the University of Maryland please visit the UMD Transfer Credit Services website.

For further information on transferring to the University of Maryland please contact the UMD Pre-Transfer Advising Office.

Information for Freshman Connection


Students transitioning into one of the four majors in the School of Public Health must complete two steps of mandatory advising in preparation for Spring 2023 registration. The majors within SPH are: Family Science (FMSC), Public Health Practice (PHP), Kinesiology (KNES), Public Health Science (PHSC).


Mandatory Advising for FC students joining SPH includes two steps: 


Step 1: Attend an SPHL Welcome Session for Freshman Connection 

  • This 1-hour welcome session will introduce you to the four majors in SPH as well as the mandatory advising process. We will offer these welcome sessions on the following dates: Registration is required: 
    • Tuesday, October 4th at 11:00am  - In person SPH 2236
    • Friday, October 28th at 11:00am - on Zoom
    • Thursday, November 10th at 12:30pm - In person SPH 2236


Step 2: Complete a Change of Major Workshop 

  • Register for and complete a Change of Major Workshop within your respective major.  All Change of Major Workshops are asynchronous and will be completed through ELMS.
  • The asynchronous Change of Major Workshop will:
    • Introduce you to the major; including course requirements, departmental policy, and extracurricular opportunities within the department.
    • Include an overview of SPH academic policy and expectations of SPH students. 
    • Require you to complete a graduation plan that includes all of your remaining degree requirements.
  • You must have your graduation plan approved prior to getting your advising block lifted.  


Register for a Change of Major Workshop

Please be sure to register for the workshop for your major.

Please note that workshops become available one month in advance.






If you attend a workshop after November 18 please know your block may not be lifted prior to your Spring 2023 Registration Appointment. 

If students have any questions or concerns, please contact



Information for Orientation

All newly admitted students must attend a mandatory orientation before being able to register for classes. Students can register for an orientation by visiting the Orientation Office website. Orientation dates have space limitations and are filled on a first-come-first-served basis, so register for an orientation program as soon as you confirm your admission!

  • A copy of any AP/IB scores that are not currently showing on your unofficial UMD transcript.
  • A copy of your transcript from other colleges/universities showing any coursework not currently on your unofficial UMD transcript.
  • Pen and paper for taking notes and a personal electronic device, if desired. 

I already have credit for math (AP/IB or transfer) do I still have to take the Math Placement Exam? 

YES. Sometimes errors or unexpected outcomes can occur with incoming math credit - maybe it hasn't posted to your UMD transcript yet, maybe it isn't coming in as the course you expected, etc. - so it is important that you complete the Math Placement Exam. Additionally, UMD will honor the higher place option.

Ex: For our majors that require foundational science courses (Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology, etc.) you must be eligible to take Calculus in order to enroll. If your incoming math credit only counts for Elementary Math BUT you take the Math Placement Test and place at the Calculus level you can enroll in the science courses. If you did not take the exam you would not be able to take the science courses until completing Pre-Calc College Algebra at UMD. 

Can my parent/spouse/friend hang out with me at orientation?

Parents/spouses/friends may be able to accompany you to morning programming conducted by the New Student Orientation office, but they cannot accompany you to the college/department portion or during registration. The New Student Orientation office has an alternative program for parents and families while students are learning about their majors and registering.