Solve public health challenges through the lens of scientific inquiry
The BS in Public Health Science at Shady Grove offers students a small, individualized classroom environment designed specifically for transfer students.
An interdisciplinary major that requires the study of life sciences and public health. Students interested in careers in epidemiology, health professions, healthcare administration, environmental health and justice, and health equity, will gain skills essential to recognizing and addressing today’s public health issues.
Perfect for those who...
- Are transfer students interested in pursuing their University of Maryland Bachelor's degree in Montgomery County
- Prefer a small, individualized educational experience
- See their future work informed by the fusion of science and public health
- Want to explore the breadth of the field of public health
- Are pursuing medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, physician’s assistant and other allied health professions
- Healthcare and Public Health
- Research: graduate study in biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, health services and policy or behavioral sciences
- Health Policy and Administration: informing policy on disease prevention, environmental protection and health promotion
- Human Services: engaging with individuals through case management, health communications, community health
The Public Health Science program includes a strong curriculum in public health courses, such as biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health and global health. Students have the opportunity to explore public health science through electives, laboratory experiences, optional internships and a culminating interdisciplinary capstone course. This education enables students to succeed in careers in public health, medicine, disease prevention, environmental protection, health policy and more.
Students in the program will learn how to:
- Utilize data to identify and describe public health problems.
- Synthesize public health science facts and concepts such as disease biology and health policy to effectively communicate to a diverse group of audiences including laypeople and policy makers.
- Employ scientific knowledge, facts and data to develop, analyze and evaluate evidence-based public health policies and programs.
- Communicate concisely and effectively in both oral and written formats about science, public health and public health policies and programs.
- Utilize an ecological model to view public health problems, considering not just the individual determinants but also the social, environmental and political determinants of health.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health Science at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) is designed specifically for transfer students who meet the following admissions requirements:
|Admissions Requirement||Admissions Details|
|Preferred completion of an associate degree (approximately 60 credits)||While completion of an associate degree is not required, it is strongly recommended to have an associate degree from a Maryland Community College as it will satisfy UMD General Education Requirements (except for Professional Writing). Since USG is a campus specifically for transfer students, we offer only upper-level coursework (300 and 400 level classes). It is important to have all (or most) of your lower-level courses (100 and 200 level classes) done before you transfer.|
|Keep your GPA at a 2.5 or above||The Public Health Science Program at USG requires a transfer GPA of 2.5 or above to be a competitive applicant OR a minimum transfer GPA of 2.0 or higher with an associates degree from a Maryland community college.|
|Complete prerequisite courses with a C- or higher||If a student has satisfied all other admission requirements, they may enter the program missing Organic Chemistry and/or Genetics. Students must complete Organic Chemistry and/or Genetics by the end of their second semester in the program.|
In addition to the Public Health Science program at Shady Grove admissions requirements, students must also successfully complete the following prerequisite courses with grades of C- or higher
|Course Title||University of Maryland Course||Course Credit|
|Principles of Molecular and Cellular Biology/Lab||BSCI170/171||3/1|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I||BSCI201||4|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II||BSCI202||4|
|Elementary Calculus 1||MATH120||3|
|Fundamentals of General Chemistry/ Lab||CHEM131/132||3/1|
|Organic Chemistry 1 OR Essentials of Organic & Biochemistry**||CHEM231/232 or CHEM105||3/1|
|Principles of Genetics||BSCI222||4|
|One of the following:||HLTH130, HLTH230, ANTH260, SOCY100, SOCY105, or PSYC100||3|
**Students transferring from Montgomery College may take the MC equivalent of CHEM150: Essentials of Organic and Biochemistry in place of the UMD equivalent of CHEM231/232
Application consideration will be given to students who have not yet completed the UMD equivalents of BSCI222 and/or CHEM231/232. Once admitted, these courses must be completed with grades of C- or higher by the end of the student’s second semester in the major.
Please refer to the prerequisite equivalencies for the following community colleges: Montgomery College, Frederick Community College, Prince George’s Community College, and Howard Community College.
For the full list of transfer course equivalencies and for additional transfer course information, please refer to UMD’s Transfer Credit Services
The Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health Science at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) consists of 120 credits. Up to 60 of those credits can be transferred from a community college or another accredited 4-year institution. The remaining 60 credits are completed in UMD’s Public Health Science program at Shady Grove and can be completed either on a full-time or part-time basis. Classes are offered Monday through Thursday in-person, including some evening and a limited number of online courses. Students entering the Public Health Science program at Shady Grove will have completed their freshman and sophomore years at a community college or accredited 4-year institution prior to transferring into the major. All coursework for the Public Health Science program at Shady Grove is offered at the 300 and 400-level.
Courses are organized into the following categories:
- Prerequisite Courses
- Public Health Science Foundation Courses
- Public Health Science Options Courses
- General Electives