There are a variety of advisors available to assist you with your degree progress and future plans. Please review the categories below to see which advisors are able to best meet your needs. While advising is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged you meet regularly with an advisor. Additionally, meeting with a Pre-Health or Career advisor should supplement, not replace, meeting with a KNES advisor.
Adjusted Advising Practices during COVID-19 Pandemic
Please note that academic advisors are still available for appointments. All appointments are currently being conducted via phone or video chat. Please read the informaiton below:
- Walk-in/Drop-in Advising will begin on August 31, 2020. These will take place via Zoom and are for brief questions. A waiting room will be enabled to allow advisors to have one on one conversations with students. Please see below for days/times/and to access the Zoom link.
- August 31st - September 14th: 1:00 - 3:00pm daily go.umd.edu/knes_drop-in_
- September 15th - December 14th
- Mandatory Advising can only be completed with Polly or Lindsey. Meeting with Dr. Brown or Dr. Klossner will not lift your mandatory advising block
- Scheduling an Appointment should still be done through appointment manager online. Please visit go.umd.edu/KNESadvising.
- To begin your appointment you should either call or video chat your advisor at the time of your appointment. Directions for each advisor are below:
- Polly Sebastian-Schurer: Zoom details provided in appointment confirmation
- Lindsey Winter: call 301-405-8272
- Dr. Brown: call 301-405-2503
- Dr. Klossner: Zoom details provided in appointment confirmation
Am I assigned an advisor?
Kinesiology students do not have an assigned advisor, rather the advisors work as a team to serve the students. Some students choose to meet with the same advisor every time and some choose the advisor based on which meeting time works for their schedule. Either way works!
Do I have mandatory advising?
In general, our department does not have mandatory advising, but we encourage students to meet regularly with an advisor. However, KNES students in the following populations are required to meet with a departmental advisor:
- First semester freshmen and transfer students are required to meet with a departmental advisor to remove their mandatory advising block
- Once students reach 75 cumulative credits, KNES students must meet with a departmental advisor to complete their senior audit in order to remove their registration block. Students must complete an audit in order to register for KNES497.
When should I meet with an advisor?
If you have questions or concerns about degree progress, benchmarks, course selection, study abroad, internships, academic difficulty, and more, we encourage you to meet with an advisor.
Location: 2351 SPH Building
Our office is open from 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday (except for when the University is closed)
Have a quick question? E-mail email@example.com or come to a walk-in appointment
Spring 2020 Semester Walk-in Schedule: Mondays & Thursdays 3:00pm - 4:00pm*
*Walk-in Hourse throughout the Schedule Adjustment Period (Jan. 27th - Feb. 7th) are: Monday - Friday, 10:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00pm - 3:00pm
You can meet with an advisor by scheduling a 30-minute appointment here.
Dr. Elizabeth Brown
Physical Education - MCERT
Transfer Mandatory Advising
Dr. Joanne Klossner
Athletic Training & related professions
Prospective Sudents & Major Changes
Transfer Mandatory Advising
Center for Academic Success and Achievement
Please note all student-athletes and students on probation have mandatory advising and will need to meet with an advisor in the Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA). If you are a student who has been academically dismissed or took a leave of absence from UMD, you will need to meet with a CASA advisor to discuss re-enrollment.
Any student needing to submit a request for an exception to policy can do so here. Examples of exception to policy include taking a course away from UMD, needing a 3rd attempt at a course, withdrawing from a course after the deadline, and exceeding the total number of repeatable credits.
Location: 0222 SPH Building
Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday*
*except for when the University is closed
The Reed-Yorke Health Professions Advising Office serves all current students and alumni of the University of Maryland. While students cannot officially declare a "pre-health" track (i.e. Pre-Physical Therapy), they can work with advisors to ensure they are taking all required pre-requisite courses for their intended health field. Additionally, advisors can provide information about admissions requirements and general recommendations for graduate programs in a variety of health fields.