Ribbon Cutting & Grand Opening: October 3, 2017
The Susan Denison Mona Center for Health and Wellness (The Mona Center) is an integrated multi-services facility founded on a partnership between Catholic Charities of Washington DC, the Maryland Center for Health Equity, and Doctors Community Hospital. The Mona Center will provide critical resources and comprehensive services to the residents of Prince George’s primarily focusing on health, wellness, legal services and immigration legal services. The Mona Center will be a model for innovative healthcare provision for the county as the first to integrate medical, dental and preventative health in a single facility serving a majority-minority population with a single electronic health record.
Highlights of the Mona Center’s services include:
- Medical Clinic: A full service primary healthcare clinic, operated by Doctors Community Hospital, will practice population-based medicine with an emphasis on primary care and endocrinology services. There will be a full-time physician and nurse practitioner, plus a small administrative staff.
- Dental Clinic: A full service dental clinic will provide routine dental care including check-ups, cleanings, fillings and extractions.
- Catholic Charities Legal Network (CCLN): A staff attorney will provide legal information to clients and make referrals to volunteer attorneys assisting with civil law issues such as consumer/debt matters, family law, wills/probate and advanced directives.
- Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services (ILS): The ILS staff attorney will provide direct legal representation to clients in immigration matters as well as write up cases that are referred to the Pro Bono Coordinator for placement with a volunteer attorney.
- M-CHE Health Promotion Suite featuring physical activity classes, smoking cessation, ACA navigation assistance and other health education workshops and Evidence-based interventions to prevent and control diabetes and hypertension through healthy eating and physical activity.
- St. Maria’s Meals Dinner Program: Every Tuesday evening, the Catholic Charities Maria’s Meals Van provides free healthy dinners to individuals and families in the community.
- Health Promotion through Physical Activity: The School of Public Health will provide staffing in the dedicated space for classes to include yoga, physical activity and more. The Mona Center will be the site of walking and running clubs and function as the physical activity “heart” of the community.
- The Wellness & Healing Garden: This large garden will serve individuals, families, and community groups in the neighborhood and provide fresh herbs and vegetables for the teaching kitchen. Trainings workshops will be offered throughout the year.
- Teaching Kitchen: The teaching kitchen will host a range of content experts for learning new skills in healthy meal preparation and nutritional literacy.
- Couple and Family Counseling: The UMD Center for Healthy Families will operate a satellite of their non-profit clinic and provide services to individuals, couples (married or unmarried), and families.