General Application Requirements
In general, degree applicants will need to submit the following:
- Online application
- Official transcripts from EVERY college-level institution you attended
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE), if applicable
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose
The GRE is not required for all of the MPH, MA, MS degree programs during the 2020-2021 application cycle. The GRE has also been waived for our PhD programs, except the PhD in Health Services and Research.
How to Apply
The admission process is different for SOPHAS programs and Non-SOPHAS programs. Please, check the table below to identify the program and the application process you will follow.
|Application Process||Application Process|
Two parts(described this table): SOPHAS and University of Maryland Application
University of Maryland Graduate School Application:
Have specific questions about the graduate admissions process or requirements? Please see Public Health Programs Application FAQ’s.
PART 1. SOPHAS APPLICATION
- Complete the online SOPHAS application.
- Choose the University of Maryland College Park School of Public Health program to which you would like to apply.
- You may apply to only one UMD SPH program per application cycle.
- You must send an official transcript for all completed college courses. These transcripts go directly to SOPHAS.
- We require 3 letters of recommendation. Your references will receive an email invite from SOPHAS to complete the recommendation online.
- If applicable:
- contact the Graduate Director to request GRE information. (GRE Submission Codes 0485 & 5814)
- submit English proficiency scores (IELTS and TOEFL) (Submission Codes 5688 & 5814).
- Pay the SOPHAS application fee.
- Your SOPHAS application will go through several phases including submission, completion, and verification. Verification can take up to four weeks, therefore we recommend starting the application early.
PART 2: UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SHORTENED APPLICATION
- The shortened application is completed online and you will receive an email with instructions after your SOPHAS application is verified.
- This application requires that you upload:
- response to demographic and residency questions
- a PDF copy of your undergraduate degree transcript (the transcript that indicates degree awarded). Unofficial copies will suffice.
- statement of purpose (the same you used in SOPHAS)
- Payment of an application fee ( $75.00)
- Upon completion of BOTH parts, you will receive notification of ‘Under Committee Review’, which means the application has been sent to the review committee. You will be notified when a decision is made.
APPLICATION DEADLINES ARE LISTED HERE
KEEP IN MIND:
- It is crucial to submit ALL parts of your application well before the deadline.
- Check your SOPHAS application status regularly to ensure test scores, transcripts, and letters of recommendation have been received.
- Your application is not complete until BOTH parts 1 and 2 have been submitted.
- International Applicants are welcome and should review additional instructions for applying from outside the U.S. Note that academic records from institutions outside the U.S. must undergo a credentials evaluation. Check SOPHAS and the Graduate School information on International Applications' academic credentials.