General Application Requirements
In general, degree applicants will need to submit the following:
- Online application
- Official transcripts from EVERY college-level institution you attended
- Standardized test score (GRE is required, but some exceptions may apply)
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL, IELTS or PTE), if applicable
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose
How to Apply
The admission process is different for SOPHAS programs and Non-SOPHAS programs. Please, check the table below to identify the program and the application process you will follow.
|Application Process||Application Process|
Two parts(described this table): SOPHAS and University of Maryland Supplemental Application
University of Maryland Graduate School Application:
Have specific questions about the graduate admissions process or requirements? Please see Public Health Programs Application FAQ’s.
PART 1. SOPHAS APPLICATION
- Complete the online SOPHAS application.
- Choose the University of Maryland College Park School of Public Health program to which you would like to apply.
- You may apply to only one UMD SPH program per application cycle.
- You must send an official transcript for all completed college courses. These transcripts go directly to SOPHAS.
- We require 3 letters of recommendation. Your references will receive an email invite from SOPHAS to complete the recommendation online.
- Test scores. The GRE is required for some of our graduate programs. Some programs accept GRE substitutions or provide waivers in special circumstances; contact the program Graduate Director to make such a request. GRE (Submission Codes 0485 & 5814) and English proficiency (IELTS and TOEFL) (Submission Codes 5688 & 5814).
- Pay the SOPHAS application fee.
- Your SOPHAS application will go through several phases including submission, completion, and verification. Verification can take up to four weeks, therefore we recommend starting the application early.
PART 2: UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION
- The supplemental application is completed online via an emailed invitation from the UMD graduate school.
- The invite is sent within one week of your SOPHAS verification date to the email on file with SOPHAS.
- The title of the email is ‘please complete the school of public health supplemental application.’
- This application requires demographic and residency questions, transcripts, and application fee.
- You must submit a PDF copy of your undergraduate degree transcript (the transcript that indicates degree awarded).
- The application fee is $75.00
- Upon completion of BOTH parts, you will receive notification of ‘Under Committee Review’, which means the application has been sent to the review committee.
APPLICATION DEADLINES ARE LISTED HERE
KEEP IN MIND:
- It is crucial to submit ALL parts of your application well before the deadline.
- Check your SOPHAS application status regularly to ensure test scores, transcripts, and letters of recommendation have been received.
- Your application is not complete until BOTH parts 1 and 2 have been submitted.
- International Applicants are welcome and should review additional instructions for applying from outside the U.S. Note that academic records from institutions outside the U.S. must undergo a credentials evaluation. Check SOPHAS and the Graduate School information on International Applications' academic credentials.