Whether you are a student who knows exactly what you want to do after college or you are still exploring many different career options, career exploration during college provides an opportunity to think about what applications of your college learning will be most satisfying to you after college.
Who We Are
The University Career Center & The President’s Promise provides comprehensive career assistance for all University of Maryland, College Park and Shady Grove students. The University Career Center at the School of Public Health or UCC @ SPH is dedicated to providing industry-specific career services to all SPH students! [accordion]
UCC @ SPH Staff: Lauren Meier – Program Director
email@example.com, (301) 314-9268
Central Office: 3100 Hornbake Library, 3rd Floor South Wing
UCC @ SPH Office: Center for Academic Success and Achievement
0222 School of Public Health Building ( ground floor of SPH)
Students with disabilities who may need additional assistance may schedule an appointment with Nancy Forsythe, the Career Development Specialist for students with Disabilities through Careers4Terps or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone, (301) 314-1370.
Who We Serve
Here at UCC @ SPH, we serve all current SPH students and alumni. Graduate and doctoral students are encouraged to utilize UCC @ SPH services and attend all career related events. For more specific career advising please visit the Graduate and Doctoral Students page.
Employers can find more information about hiring students on the Employer page.
Services We Provide
UCC@ SPH is dedicated to helping SPH students at every stage of their career development. Students have access to one-on-one assistance, career development workshops, career & internship fairs, information sessions, networking sessions, site visits and more.
Need help with resumes and cover letters? Want to revamp your LinkedIn page? Schedule an appointment through Careers4Terps or meet with a Peer Career Educator (resume and cover letter only) at the main University Career Center (3100 Hornbake Library, South Wing), during Drop In hours 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.
For deeper career exploration and assistance schedule an appointment through Careers4Terps.
To make the most of your scheduled appointment:
- Whether or not you’re interested in a resume critique or major exploration, upload a resume and any other relevant documents (e.g. cover letter) to Careers4Terps so that your career advisor can better prepare for your appointment.
- Prepare by reviewing our online resources, and write out a couple questions you may have.
- Arrive to your appointment five to 10 minutes early with material to take notes. Expect your appointment to last 30 – 60 minutes. Note: If you are late by 15 minutes or more you will need to reschedule your appointment.
We look forward to meeting with you!
Career Development Resources
Careers4Terps is an online career management tool that provides UMD students access to the job and internship database, event registration, and online job search and career exploration tools.
- Job & Internship Database is full of on and off campus opportunities from employers interested in hiring UMD students for jobs, internships or fellowship and clinical shadowing opportunities. Set up a Search Agent for a daily, weekly or monthly email with opportunities that may be of interest to you.
- Focus 2 is a guided exploration tool that can help you better understand what major or career would be most fulfilling to you.
- Candid Career provides thousands of industry-specific informational interviews with experts from a variety of fields.
- GoinGlobal hosts country-specific employment information including work permit or visa requirements, employment trends and cultural advice.
- Vault Guides provide comprehensive details into a wide variety of industries including healthcare management, consulting and allied healthcare.
- InterviewStream is a video interviewing system that can help you prepare for interview. Record your mock interview and review it or send it to a career advisor for feedback.
*Log into Careers4Terps for full access to all these resources.
Programs and Events: careers.umd.edu
- School of Public Health Career & Internship Expo is the School of Public Health’s annual career & internship fair, where employers from a wide range of fields are invited to recruit SPH students. The Expo is an opportunity for students of all class levels to explore the opportunities available to graduates with a Public Health degree. In the Fall 2016, organizations such as Blue Cross Blue Shield, Soccer Shots, Whitman Walker and the American Heart Association.
- This Fall: October 10, 2017, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm, Volleyball Gym School of Public Health Building Room 2101
- Attire: Always dress to impress. We recognize that you might be coming from class or activities so we recommend business casual attire or your nicest pair of sweats.
- For details and a full list of employers visit the event page.
- Alumni and Student Networking Night: Organized in collaboration with the development team and the newly minted SPH Alumni Network, current students and our accomplished alumni come together in a night of networking and discussion.
- SPH Student & Alumni Mentor Program: The purpose of this program is to connect current School of Public Health (SPH) undergraduate students with SPH alumni in career paths similar to the students’ respective interests. The SPH Alumni Association Professional Development Program will support both the needs of the Mentee and Mentor to encourage a successful professional relationship is built and maintained throughout the academic school year. The application for the 2017 - 2018 academic year will open August 28th, 2017 and close September 15th, 2017.
- Fall and Spring Career & Internship Fairs are the largest events sponsored by the University Career Center & the President’s Promise. Unlike the SPH Expo, employers come to recruit students from across all majors. With a fair that large, it’s hard not to find a handful of organizations of interest.
- This Fall: September 19 – September 20, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm, XFINITY Center
- Attire: Business and business casual
- For details and a full list of employers visit the event page.
- Industry-Specific Career & Internship Fairs are smaller “boutique” fairs held year round for more targeted recruiting. Every Spring there is the Health Professions Graduate Recruitment Fair, and other fairs include the Language Career & Internship Fair, the Maryland Metropolitan Education Expo and more!
- Hiring Meetups are a smaller and more casual version of the industry-specific career & internship fair. Four to six employers from one industry like Global Health, Sustainability or Non-Profits, come to networking and recruit students.
- Workshops and Information Sessions facilitated by University Career Center staff and employers range from fair prep to federal resume and application tips. Employer Information Sessions are typically held by organizations to promote their organization and their available job and internship opportunities.
- Industry Panels are facilitated discussions with alumni and employees from an industry or profession with a chance for students to talk one-on-one with panelists afterwards. Past panels include Healthcare without an MD and Healthcare Communications and Policy. Look out for dates and panelists for the upcoming Food Waste and Security panel by checking the career events calendar.
- Quick Career Questions are monthly drop in hours held on the ground level of the SPH building for students who have a quick question about anything career related including but not limited to resumes, cover letters, interviewing and salary negotiation.
Note: We recommend business casual attire for events where employers and alumni are in attendance. We recognize that the nature of some industries is more casual, however when in doubt aim for business casual.