The Department seeks students who are imaginative, intelligent, and highly motivated scholars with a desire for challenge, a commitment to excellence, and a well-developed sense of social responsibility. Most applicants have degrees in the applied behavioral or social sciences. However, the Department invites application from those in non-allied fields who have a proven record of occupational and/or volunteer experience in the family field. Computer literacy is essential. We are fortunate to attract gifted students who are concerned about social and ethical issues and who view their future profession in a broad context. The Department encourages applications from members of racial/ethnic minority groups other historically underrepresented groups.
Students are selected on the basis of:
- performance in previous undergraduate and/or graduate coursework,
- letters of recommendation,
- quality of the empirical Master's Thesis (for those with a Master's degree),
- relevant work experience, and
- professional goals congruent with those of the program.
The Ph.D. program in Family Science admits students for fall semester only. All application materials are due December 1st. Students who wish to apply for the Ph.D. program must complete the University of Maryland Graduate School Application, which includes 3 letters of recommendation, the statement of goals and research interests, and official transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Go to https://gradschool.umd.edu/admissions
- Complete the online application
- A $75 non-refundable application fee will be processed with your application
- Mail all transcripts reflecting all undergraduate and graduate work completed or in progress to:
University of Maryland at College Park
Enrollment Services Operations
Application for Graduate Admission
0130 Mitchell Building
College Park, MD 20742
- Letters of recommendation are to be submitted online with your graduate application or mailed directly to Graduate Admissions.
- All information provided in this application will be directly sent by Graduate Admissions to the Department of Family Science for review (you do not need to mail additional hard copies of the graduate school application to the department).
Please note that for the Fall 2021 admissions, there is no GRE requirement.
Complete instructions and a checklist to guide you through the application process are available on the Graduate School Admissions website.
Need more information?
If you have additional questions about the application or would like to speak to a graduate student about our program, please contact our department at: