Dr. Chen’s research fields include health care disparities, health care delivery system and policy, behavioral health, aging and economic evaluation. She directs the Hospital And Public health interdisciPlinarY research (HAPPY) Lab which uses a multidisciplinary perspective and involves collaboration with clinical leaders, community partners and organizational decision-makers. Her current research focuses on the integration of healthcare organizations, promoting behavioral health of vulnerable populations and mental health among older adults.
SPH | Room 3310E
Areas of InterestCore Faculty
Health Care Delivery System; Care Coordination and System Integration; Public Health System; Health Disparities; Mental Health; Aging Health; Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias
Dr. Jie Chen is a Professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management and Director of the Hospital And Public health interdisciPlinarY research (HAPPY) Lab in the School of Public Health at the University of Maryland at College Park. Her research fields include health disparities, system integration, health policy, mental health, and dementia care. Dr. Chen is the author of over 130 peer-reviewed articles and has led projects funded by federal agencies. She has served as a principal investigator on several projects funded by the NIA, NIMH, NIMHD, and AHRQ. Currently, Dr. Chen serves as a PI on an R01 project funded by NIA to examine the effect of hospital and community care coordination on healthcare quality and equity among individuals with risk factors or diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease Related Dementias (ADRD). Her research has suggested that collaboration among hospitals, public health, and patients can promote care coordination, improve healthcare quality, and reduce disparities, and innovative healthcare delivery models, such as Accountable Care Organizations, can promote continuity of care for people with ADRD.
Dr. Chen has 20 years of research experience working with large secondary data sets and claims data, and developing, refining, and applying analytical methods. Dr. Chen has worked closely with local health departments, hospitals, and community partners to design, develop, and evaluate community interventions. Her passion is to break down longstanding silos between healthcare delivery systems and build hospital-community integrated systems that deliver personalized patient-centered care to promote population health for all.
State University of New York, Stony Brook
HLSA711 Health Economics and Analysis
HLSA765 Dissertation Proposal Development Seminar
HLSA712 Advanced Health Economics
2023 Honoree, Maryland Research Excellence Celebration
2021 The Leda Amick Wilson Mentoring Award, School of Public Health, University of Maryland
2021 Outstanding Reviewer for Health Services Research
2019 40 Under Forty Alumni Honoree, Stony Brook University
2015-2017, 2019 Honoree, University of Maryland Tenth Annual Celebration of Scholarship and Research
2017 - 2019 Nominee, UMD Graduate School’s Graduate Faculty Mentor of the Year Award
2017 Research and Development Award, School of Public Health, University of Maryland
Selected publications (*Dr. Chen's advisee):
- Chen J. Spencer M*, Buchongo P*. Strengthening the Public Health Partnership and Telehealth Infrastructure to Reduce Healthcare Disparities. Population Health Management. Dec 2022. 814-821.
- Chen J, Spencer M*, Buchongo P*, Wang M. Evidence of Hospital-based HIT Infrastructure and Reduced Medicare Payment and Racial and Ethnic Disparities among ADRD Patients. Medical Care. 20 December 2022 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36349964/.
- Albaroudi A*, Chen J. Racial Disparities in Measures of Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems among ADRD Patients. JAMA Network Open. 2022;5(9):e2233436. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.33436.
- Chen J, Benjenk I*, Anderson A*, Barath D*, Reynold C. Disparities in Preventable Hospitalization Among Patients With Alzheimer Diseases. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2021; 60(5):595-604.
- Chen J, Amaize A*, Barath D*. Evaluating Telehealth Adoption and Related Barriers Among Hospitals Located in Rural and Urban Areas. Journal of Rural Health. First published: 12 November 2020.
- Park S, Chen J. Racial and Ethnic Patterns and Differences in Health Care Expenditures among Medicare Beneficiaries with and without Cognitive Limitation or Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias: A Retrospective Cohort Study. BMC Geriatrics. 20, Article number: 482. 2020.
- Novak P, Sanmartin M, Ali M, Chen J. Individuals with Serious Mental Illness are more Likely to have Health Conditions Associated with Severe Illness from COVID-19. Psychiatric Services. Published Online:19 Nov 2020
- Chu*, Benjenk I*, Chen J. Incremental Medical Expenditures of the Spouses of Individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2020 Sep 30 doi: 10.1016/j.jagp.2020.09.020 [Epub ahead of print].
- Wang N*, Amaize A*, and Chen J. Hospital ACO Affiliation and Urban/Rural Disparities in Preventable ED Rates for Patients with ADRD. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2020 Oct 7.
- Benjenk I*, Chen J. Trends in Self-Payment for Outpatient Psychiatrist Visits. JAMA Psychiatry. Published online July 15, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2020.2072.
- Wang N*, Albaroudi A*, Chen J. Decomposing Urban and Rural Disparities of Preventable ED Visits among Community-dwelling Patients' with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias --- Evidence of the Availability of Health Care Resources. Journal of Rural Health. First published: 02 July 2020 https://doi.org/10.1111/jrh.12465.
- Benjenk I*, Shields M, Chen J. Measures of Care Coordination at Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities and the Medicare 30-Day All-Cause Readmission Rate. Psychiatric Services. Published Online: 25 Aug 2020.
- Barath D*, Amaize A*, Chen J. Racial and Ethnic Disparities of Potentially Preventable Hospitalizations among Patients with Depression – Evidence on Accountable Care Organizations and Care Coordination. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. April 2020.
- Benjenk I*, Franzini L, Chen J. Evidence of the Linkage between Hospital-based Care Coordination Strategies and Hospital Overall (Star) Ratings. Medical Care. 2020; 58(1):18-26.
- Park S, Chen J, Roby D, Ortega A. Differences in Health Care Expenditures Among Non-Latino Whites and Asian Subgroups Vary Along the Distribution of the Expenditures. Medical Care Research and Review. 2019;1077558719874212. doi:10.1177/1077558719874212.
- Barath D*, Chen J. Integrating Local Health Departments to Reduce Suicide-Related Emergency Department Visits Among People with Substance Use Disorders. Preventive Medicine. 2019 Dec;129:105825.
- Novak P*, Chu J*, Ali M, Chen J. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Serious Psychological Distress among those with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2019 Aug 15. pii: S1064-7481(19)30473-7.
- Anderson A*, Chen J. ACO Affiliated Hospitals Increase Implementation of Care Coordination Strategies. Medical Care. 2019;57(4):300-304.
- Benjenk I*, Chen J. Variation of Follow-Up Rate after Psychiatric Hospitalization by Hospital Characteristics and Social Determinants of Health. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2019; 27(2):138-148.
- Novak P*, Bloodworth R*, Green K, Chen J. Local Health Department Activities to Reduce Emergency Department Visits for Substance Use Disorders. Journal for Healthcare Quality. 2019; 41(3): 134-145.
- Chen J, DuGoff E, Novak P*, Wang M. Variation of Hospital-Based Adoption of Care Coordination Services by Community-Level Social Determinants of Health. Health Care Management Review. 2018 Nov 27.
- Novak P*, Anderson A*, Chen J. Changes in Health Insurance Coverage and Barriers to Health Care Access among Individuals with Serious Psychological Distress following the Affordable Care Act. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 2018; 45(6): 924-932.
- Chen J, Novak P*, Goldman H. Public Health System Delivered Mental Health Preventive Care Links to Significant Reduction of Health Care Costs. Population Health Management. 2018; 21(6): 462-468.
- Chen J, Novak P*, Barath D*, Goldman H, Mortenson K. Local Health Departments' Promotion of Mental Health Care and Reductions in 30-Day All-Cause Readmission Rates in Maryland. Medical Care. 2018; 56(2):153-161.
- Chen J, Bloodworth R*, Novak P*, Cook B, Goldman H, Rendall M, Thomas S, and Reynolds C. Reducing Preventable Hospitalization and Disparity: Association with LHD Mental Health Promotion Activities. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2018; 54(1):103-112.
- Chen J, Vargas-Bustamante A, Novak P*. Reducing Young Adults’ Health Care Spending through the ACA Expansion of Dependent Coverage. Health Services Research. 2017; 52(5): 1835-1857.
- Chen J, Vargas-Bustamante A, Mortensen K, Ortega A. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care Access and Utilization under the Affordable Care Act. Medical Care. 2016; 54(2):140-146.
- Chen J, Mullins D, Novak P*, Thomas S. Personalized Strategies to Activate and Empower Patients in Health Care and Reduce Health Disparities. Health Education & Behavior. 2016; 43(1): 25-34.