Dr. Chen’s research fields include health care disparities, health care delivery system and policy, mental health, and aging health. Her passion is to break down longstanding silos between health care delivery systems, social service agencies, and the public health sectors. In 2017, Dr. Chen established the Hospital And Public Health InterdisciPlinarY research (HAPPY) Lab. The mission of the lab is to find and/or create innovative and cost-effective mechanisms that can improve multi-sector care coordination for underserved populations and the aging population with complex health needs. Her current research focuses on the impact of public health-integrated health care on health care access (R21MH106813, PI) and effective care coordination practices between health care and communities for minority patients with mental illness (R01MD011523, PI) and the aging population with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias (R56AG062315, PI, and R01AG062315, PI). She is also interested in telehealth-assisted system-integration and care coordination. An additional field of her research involves economic evaluation, including cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analysis of community intervention and state/federal policies. Dr. Chen has more than fifteen years of research experience developing, refining, and applying analytical methods to evaluate the impact of health policy and the health care delivery system on population health and health equity. Her work is supported by the National Institute of Aging, the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, the National Institute of Mental Health, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- R01AG062315 (Chen, PI): Effect of Hospital and Community Care Coordination on Health Care Access, Quality, and Equity among Individuals with Risk Factors or Diagnosis of ADRD 03/01/2021-2/28/2024
- R56AG062315 (Chen, PI): Pilot Study: Estimate the Impact of Care Coordination on Health Care among People with ADRD 09/30/2018-06/30/2021
- R01MD011523 (Chen, PI): Effects of Hospital-Community-Public Health Integration on Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Mental Health 07/12/2017-2/28/2022
- 3R01MD011523-03S1 (Chen, PI): Explore the Impact of Hospital Payment Models and Care Coordination on ADRD Prevention and Treatment 2020-2022
- R21MH1068131 (Chen, PI): Effect of Local Health Departments on Health Care Disparities for Individuals with Mental Health Disorders 01/01/2016-12/31/2018
- R24HS022135 (Mullins, PI; Chen, Pilot PI): Personalized Strategies to Activate and Empower Patients in Health and Health Care 09/30/2013- 09/29/2018
- 5R01MD010255-03 (Slade, PI; Chen, co-I): Impact of Payment Reform on Racial Disparities in Hospital Psychiatric Care 03/1/2017-2/28-2018
- Maryland Health Care Commission (Franzini, PI; Chen, co-I): Health Matters: Navigating an Enhanced Rural Health Model for Maryland, Lessons Learned from the Mid-Shore Counties 08/2016-10/2017
- Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene and the Community Health Resources Commission: Prince George’s County Health Enterprise Zone Capitol Heights 20743 (Carter, PI; Chen, health economist) 07/01/2013 – 06/30/2017
2008: Ph.D., Department of Economics, State University of New York, Stony Brook
HLSA711 Health Economics and Analysis
HLSA712 Advanced Health Economics and Analysis
2019: 40 Under Forty Stony Brook University
2017: Research and Development Award, School of Public Health, University of Maryland
2015 - 2017, 2019: Honoree, University of Maryland Ninth Annual Celebration of Scholarship and Research
Selected from 100+ publications (* denotes advisee or trainee of Dr. Chen):
- Chen J, Benjenk I*, Anderson A*, Barath D*, Reynold C. Accountable Care Organizations and of Preventable Hospitalization among Patients with Alzheimer’s Diseases. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. In Press.
- Chen J, Amaize A*, Barath D*. Evaluating Telehealth Adoption and Related Barriers Among Hospitals Located in Rural and Urban Areas. Journal of Rural Health. First published: 12 November 2020.
- Wang N*, Amaize A*, and Chen J. Hospital ACO Affiliation and Urban/Rural Disparities in Preventable ED Rates for Patients with ADRD. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2020 Oct 7.
- Benjenk I*, Shields M, Chen J. Measures of Care Coordination at Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities and the Medicare 30-Day All-Cause Readmission Rate. Psychiatric Services. Published Online: 25 Aug 2020.
- Barath D*, Amaize A*, Chen J. Racial and Ethnic Disparities of Potentially Preventable Hospitalizations among Patients with Depression – Evidence on Accountable Care Organizations and Care Coordination. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. April 2020.
- Benjenk I*, Franzini L, Chen J. Evidence of the Linkage between Hospital-based Care Coordination Strategies and Hospital Overall (Star) Ratings. Medical Care. 2020; 58(1):18-26.
- Chen J, DuGoff E, Novak P*, Wang M. Variation of Hospital-Based Adoption of Care Coordination Services by Community-Level Social Determinants of Health. Health Care Management Review. 2020; 45(4):332-341.
- Barath D*, Chen J. Integrating Local Health Departments to Reduce Suicide-Related Emergency Department Visits among People with Substance Use Disorders. Preventive Medicine. 2019 Dec;129:105825. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2019.105825.
- Novak P*, Chu J*, Ali M, Chen J. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Serious Psychological Distress among those with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2019 Aug 15. pii: S1064-7481(19)30473-7.
- Anderson A*, Chen J. ACO Affiliated Hospitals Increase Implementation of Care Coordination Strategies. Medical Care. 2019;57(4):300-304.
- Benjenk I*, Chen J. Variation of Follow-Up Rate after Psychiatric Hospitalization by Hospital Characteristics and Social Determinants of Health. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2019; 27(2):138-148.
- Bustamante A, McKenna R, Viana J, Ortega A, Chen J. Access-To-Care Differences Between Mexican-Heritage and Other Latinos in California After the Affordable Care Act. Health Affairs. 2018; 37(9):1400-1408.
- Novak P*, Anderson A*, Chen J. Changes in Health Insurance Coverage and Barriers to Health Care Access among Individuals with Serious Psychological Distress following the Affordable Care Act. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 2018; 45(6): 924-932.
- Chen J, Novak P*, Barath D*, Goldman H, Mortenson K. Local Health Departments' Promotion of Mental Health Care and Reductions in 30-Day All-Cause Readmission Rates in Maryland. Medical Care. 2018; 56(2):153-161.
- Chen J, Bloodworth R*, Novak P*, Cook B, Goldman H, Rendall M, Thomas S, and Reynolds C. Reducing Preventable Hospitalization and Disparity: Association with LHD Mental Health Promotion Activities. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2018; 54(1):103-112.
- Cook BL, Zuvekas SH, Chen J, Progovac A, Lincoln AK. Assessing the Individual, Neighborhood, and Policy Predictors of Disparities in Mental Health Care. Medical Care Research and Review. 2017; 74(4): 404-430.
- Chen J, Vargas-Bustamante A, Mortensen K, Ortega A. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care Access and Utilization under the Affordable Care Act. Medical Care. 2016; 54(2):140-146.
- Chen J, Mullins D, Novak P*, Thomas S. Personalized Strategies to Activate and Empower Patients in Health Care and Reduce Health Disparities. Health Education & Behavior. 2016; 43(1): 25-34.
- Chen J, Bustamante A, Mortensen K, Thomas S. Using Quantile Regression to Examine Health Care Expenditures during the Great Recession. Health Services Research. 2014; 49(2): 705-730.