The MPH in Practice and Policy is ranked 25 on the list of best online MPH programs for 2022
STEPS (Student Training & Education in Public Service) has named the University of Maryland, College Park as one of 2022's best colleges among the nation's top online degree programs in public health. The Master in Public Health Practice and Policy is ranked 25 on the list of best online MPH programs for 2022.
This program prepares graduates with the essential knowledge, tools, and resources in public health management, policy, and practice to successfully address the critical issues facing health systems. It is a rigorous, multi-disciplinary program to advance your knowledge and skills to meet the growing number of public health challenges of our time.
Perfect for professionals interested in
- Increasing their marketable expertise
- Professional flexibility and mobility
- Executive leadership competencies
- Career advancement readiness
- Lifetime earning potential
- Professional network support, and
- Ability to contribute to society.
Our graduates are prepared to work in
- Health care leadership and administration
- Federal, state or local policy analysis
The MPH-PHPP Online can be completed in two years of full-time or three years of part-time study while minimally disrupting your personal and professional life. The program prepares graduates with the essential knowledge, tools, and resources in public health management, leadership, policy, and practice to successfully address critical issues in healthcare. The curriculum also includes an internship and a capstone project that integrates all course learning and experiences.
See all Health Policy and Management graduate student resources.
Learn more about the Online MPH in Public Health Practice and Policy on the Office of Extended Studies website.
45 Credit Degree
Module 1: Integrated Core - 6 courses
Module 2: Cognate courses - 8 courses
Module 3: Internship and Capstone - 2 courses
View all required courses for the MPH in Public Health Practice and Policy
|Module 1: Principles of Public Health Core Courses||Fall - year 1||SPHL601||Foundations of Public Health||1|
|Module 1: Principles of Public Health Core Courses||Fall - year 1||SPHL602||Applied Data: Epidemiology & Biostatistics||4|
|Module 1: Principles of Public Health Core Courses||Fall - year 1||SPHL603||Applied Data Laboratory||1|
|Module 1: Principles of Public Health Core Courses||Spring - year 1||SPHL610||Program Planning, Development and Evaluation||5|
|Module 1: Principles of Public Health Core Courses||Spring- year 1||SPHL611||Public Health Ethics||1|
|Module 1: Principles of Public Health Core Courses||Fall - year 2||SPHL620||Leadership and Policy Analysis||2|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Fall||HLSA601||Introduction to Health Systems||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Summer||HLSA702||Policy and Politics of Health||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Spring||HLSA711||Health Economics and Analysis||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Spring||HLSA720||Health Law and Ethics||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Spring||HLSA740||Healthcare Strategic Planning and Marketing||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Fall||HLSA745||Public Health Practice and Management||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Fall||HLSA772||Healthcare Leadership and Communications||3|
|Module 2: Public Health Practice and Policy||Summer||HLSA775||Public Health Research Methods||3|
|Module 3: Internship, Capstone||Fall, Spring, Summer||HLSA778||Internship||4|
|Module 3: Internship, Capstone||Fall, Spring, Summer||HLSA786||Capstone Project||3|
- Apply systems thinking and organizational theory to address public health and health care management issues
- Evaluate the main components of the organization and delivery of healthcare in the US and other nations and impact on population health
- Evaluate the policy making process and determinants of success and failure of public health policies to achieve improvements in population health at local, state, federal, and international levels
- Apply economics principles and methods to analyze efficiency of private and public health policy and management issues
- Apply the principles of strategic planning, development, marketing, budgeting, management and evaluation in organizational and community initiatives
- Apply analytical methods for analysis of health management problems and potential solutions
- Demonstrate leadership and management skills for building partnership through collaborative efforts and communication of health policy and management issues
- Describe legal and ethical bases for public health, health care management, and health services.