Our faculty members represent disciplines including health services, health management, economics, public health, public policy, health equity and organizational development.
Research centers and programs based in our department include:
Center for Health Equity
The Center for Health Equity's mission is to eliminate health disparities and facilitate health equity through innovative research, teaching and service.
Center on Aging
The Center on Aging is dedicated to "healthy and productive" aging and utilizes a multidisciplinary team approach to improve the quality of life and health status of America's elderly population.
The Hospital And Public health interdisciPlinarY research (HAPPY) Lab studies system-level care coordination among hospitals, communities, and public health agencies that can improve population mental health and reduce health disparities
Recent research studies include projects focused on:
- examining the care coordination model for the aging population with Alzheimer's disease and other related dementias;
- examining the impact of the public health system on health disparities;
- evaluating the effects of school-based health services on access to care, health, and academic outcomes;
- using mHealth technology for preventative health information for Black and Latino communities;
- examining the gender-pay gap among healthcare workers;
- evaluating equity-focused COVID-19 contact tracer training programs;
- examining the effects of hospital-community-public health integration on racial and ethnic disparities in mental health;
- evaluating public-private family planning program in Delaware.
- Examining discrimination trajectories and depressive symptoms among middle-aged and older Black adults
- Examining socially-assigned race and health: a scoping review with global implications for population health equity.
- Marthey*, D. Rashid*, H. Xie*, L. Boudreaux, M. “An evaluation of the Be Your Own Baby Public Awareness Campaign.” Health Services Research. Forthcoming.
- Xie, L. Bodureaux, M. Franzini, L. 2021. “Maryland’s Global Budget Revenue Program: Impact on Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Admissions and Infant Mortality.” Medical Care. 59(8): 663-670.
- Steinberg, J. Marthey, D. Xie, L. Boudreaux, M. 2021. “Contraceptive method type and satisfaction, confidence in use, and switching intentions.” Contraception. 104(2): 176-182.
- Benjenk I, Franzini L, Roby D, Chen J. Disparities in Audio-only Telemedicine Use among Medicare Beneficiaries during the COVID-19 pandemic. Medical Care. Medical Care: September 17, 2021 doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000001631.
- Wang Y, Albaroudi A, Benjenk I, Chen J. Exploring Hospital-Based Health Information Technology Functions for Patients with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2021 (23) 101459.
- Benjenk, I, Saliba Z, Duggal N, Albaroudi A, Posada J, Chen J. Impacts of COVID-19 Mitigation Efforts on Adults with Serious Mental Illness: A Patient-Centered Perspective. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. June 2021.
- Chen J, Benjenk I, Anderson A, Barath D, Reynold C. Accountable Care Organizations and of Preventable Hospitalization among Patients with Alzheimer’s Diseases. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. March 2021.
- Mortensen K, Dean E, Wang Y, Chen J, French M. Trends in Health Care Utilization and Spending in the United States across Five Decades: 1977 – 2017. Medical Care. 2021 May 3. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000001557. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33935253.
- Srivastav A, Robinson-Ector K, Kipp C, Strompolis M, White K. Assessing racism through population-based public health surveys: who declines to respond? BMC Public Health. 2021 (in press).
- Kim T, White K, DuGoff E. Racial/ethnic variations in social determinants of mental health among Medicare advantage beneficiaries. Journal of Applied Gerontology. 2021 (in press).
- Olufajo OA, Hughes K, White K, Roby DH, Fryer CS, Wright JL, Sehgal NJ. The influence of socioeconomic status on outcomes of lower extremity arterial reconstruction. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2021 (in press).
- Hughes K, Olufajo OA, Ameyaw E, White K, Roby DH, Fryer CS, Wright JL, Sehgal NJ. The relationship between peripheral arterial disease severity and allostatic load: A national health and nutrition examination survey study. African Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2021 (in press).