Skip to main content

Degrees: Public Health Science

The University of Maryland School of Public Health offers a Bachelor of Science in Public Health Science.

Students may join the Public Health Science (PHSC) major at College Park when first enrolling at the University of Maryland or declare the major later. Public Health Science is not a limited enrollment program. 

Public Health Science majors may complement their degree with a minor or prerequisite coursework for a professional degree. PHSC majors are eligible to apply to the accelerated BS+MPH program or other dual degrees. 

The Public Health Science program at the Universities at Shady Grove campus is available to students in their junior and senior years. Students transfer into the program from a community college or another four-year institution once they have completed at least 45 credit hours including the prerequisite courses.


Students in lab coats observe a sample

BS, Public Health Science (College Park)

Solve public health challenges through the lens of scientific inquiry in this interdisciplinary major that requires rigorous study of life sciences and public health.


PHSC student at commencement ceremony at the University of Maryland

BS, Public Health Science (Shady Grove)

Pursue a University of Maryland Bachelor’s degree conveniently located in Montgomery County. The Public Health Science program at Shady Grove offers a small, individualized classroom environment designed for transfer students.


Three students wearing graduation caps

Accelerated BS+MPH Program

Public Health Science majors are eligible apply for this accelerated program that allows selected students to count 12 credits of MPH core courses at the undergraduate level (as non-major electives) and enter one of ten MPH concentrations.

Become a Public Health Science Major

The Public Health Science major is not a limited enrollment program. You can declare the major when first accepted or after you are enrolled at UMD. 

Learn how to declare an SPH major about Learn how to declare an SPH major