Public Health Beyond Borders (PHBB), previously Public Health Without Borders (PHWB), consists of a globally minded group of students aiming to address health needs in partnering communities. The overall mission of the organization is to reduce health disparities around the world and increase awareness about good health practices, while exposing undergraduate and graduate students to opportunities for responsible global development work through faculty-mentored international trips.
In addition to international trips, members engage in local public health projects in the DC and Prince George's County area during the semester, fundraise for PHWB trips, and to meet local needs. PHWB members have also sought to engage the UMD campus community in discussions of critical global health concerns by co-sponsoring screenings of documentaries. Whle these projects and events occur during the semester, the winter and summer breaks are utilized for international travel.
Eligibility and Membership Requirements
All majors, undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty welcome!
- Traveled to Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, India, and Peru
- Worked with Madieu Williams foundation and Dieu's Crews in Prince George's County schools
- Worked with Good to Grow, a non profit organization dedicated to sustainable agricultural practices and nutrition education to address disparities in access to nutritionally adequate food for households in Ethiopia
- Ebola Relief for Sierra Leone
- Screenings and discussion of films that address global health concerns - Bending the Arc, Girl Rising, Half the Sky and A Path Appears
As an organization, we are continuously planning for future trips in addition to local public health projects for members to engage in during the semester.
PHWB executive board members can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact Elisabeth Maring the PHBB faculty advisor.