Public Health Science (PHSC) Students: we are still here to help!
PHSC is currently using a variety of tools to conduct advising remotely.
Shady Grove students, specific information on virtual advising services for you can be found on the PHSC @Shady Grove Advising Page.
College Park students, read on for details of our remote advising services.
During the first week of the spring 2021 semester, PHSC advisors will offer extended drop-in advising via Zoom on these days and times:
- Monday, January 25, 2021, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Register to receive Zoom link)
- Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Register to receive Zoom link)
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Register to receive Zoom link)
- Thursday, January 28, 2021, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Register to receive Zoom link)
You can sign in at any time before each drop-in session ends (and, yes, you can register once the session has begun). Note that advisors will only be available in the Zoom meeting during the times listed above.
Have a quick question? Join us for a Drop-In Advising session. When the university is in session, he Public Health Science advising team offers drop-in virtual advising hours a few hours each week. There are two different formats:
Via Zoom Video or Audio
You can sign in at any time before each drop-in session ends (and, yes, you can register once the session has begun). Note that advisors will only be available in the Zoom meeting during the times listed below.
Our regular drop-in Zoom advising resumes the week of February 1, 2021.
- Wednesdays: 10.00am - 12.00pm (Register to receive Zoom link.)
- Thursdays: 3.00pm - 5.00pm (Register to receive Zoom link by email)
Once registered, you will receive an email with the Zoom link that is unique to your selected session. Click on the Zoom link (or follow the phone-in instructions) to be admitted to a waiting room until an advisor is available to meet with you in a breakout room. You can expect to wait anywhere between 2 and 15 minutes to speak with an advisor.
Note: If you think your questions/concerns may require more than 10-15 minutes, please visit the online scheduling page to schedule an appointment with any of our PHSC advisors.
For general questions that do not require us to access your academic record, advisors are available via our live online text chat on the following days and times (except for university holidays).
Last day of PHSC online chat for Fall 2020 is Tuesday, December 22.
Current Public Health Science Majors
Please see below and identify your current situation:
I Want to Schedule a One-on-One Advising Meeting:
- Excellent! You can schedule your meeting as usual with one of the PHSC Advisors.
- Your meeting will be conducted through Zoom live video or audio.
- Once scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation for your meeting that will contain the hyperlink for the Zoom meeting.
- In the case that you do not have internet access for this meeting, please email the advisor with whom your appointment is scheduled, and she will provide you with phone instructions.
I Have a General Question:
- We are happy to answer general questions through our online chat, which is staffed a few hours during the week. See PHSC Online Chat for the current schedule.
- Note: Please do not share your UID or personal academic information through the online chat. Please use drop-in advising, email, or schedule an appointment instead.
I Have a Quick Question:
I Have Already Registered for a Change of Major Workshop
- PHSC Change of Major (COM) workshop is currently offered through ELMS-Canvas asynchronous modules.
- You will receive an email with details the day before your scheduled workshop.
- On the morning of your scheduled workshop, you will receive an invitation to a Canvas course. You must accept this invitation to begin the PHSC-COM process.
- If you wish to sign up for a change of major workshop, full instructions can be found here.
I Would Like to Learn More About the PHSC Major
- See our webpage about the Public Health Science curriculum and course progression.
- See which Public Health Science major courses will be offered in the fall. (Scientific Foundation and some PHSC options are open to students of all majors.)
- If you are interested in the PHSC major, but would like some more information first, you can ask general questions in the PHSC online chat.
I Have Recently Been Accepted to the University of Maryland as a Public Health Science Major
- Congratulations! Our advising team or student ambassadors would be happy to talk with you, share more information about the program and answer any questions you may have. Please reach out!
- You can follow us online on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- You will be conducting your new student orientation online, by completing some asynchronous modules before your live remote major orientation and registration session.
- School of Public Health (SPH) Undergraduate Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA) "Moving Online" Update
- Keep Connected - UMD Student Services (housing updates and other news from Student Affairs)
- Keep Learning - Technology resources and expectations for the transition to online learning
- Reed-Yorke Health Professions Advising Office for students planning for medical, dental, PA, nursing, PT, OT, and other patient care careers
- UMD Career Center - online resources for career planning and job search
- Pass/Fail Grading Policy
- Spring 2020 Commencement
- Summer 2020 Session
Here are some tips for you to stay up to date:
- Check your official UMD Terpmail account on a regular basis. In order to ensure your privacy, we will use Terpmail for all direct advising communication with you.
- Set up Zoom on your home device via umd.zoom.us with your UMD Single Sign On.
- Contact us via email if you have concerns about accessing online tools for classes or advising.
- Follow us on social media for more updates (and maybe some pet photos): Instagram | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook