The Center's philosophy is that health literacy is best developed within communities, and we support community health literacy in multiple ways. The Center
- provides technical assistance to Maryland Local Health Improvement Coalitions (LHICs). LHICs are voluntary, community-driven groups focused on local health priorities and solutions.
- collaborates with coalitions on health literacy projects, such as Lifting All Voices in Frederick, Maryland
- interviewed local professionals throughout the Maryland to learn about their health literacy activities and summarized the work in a public convening called the Health Literacy Huddle and two journal publications
- asked community members to describe their health literacy challenges in Voices of Health Literacy
- sponsors the Health Literacy Champions toolkit so local health departments can do their own health literacy assessments